SABIC is a global leader in diversified chemicals headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It manufactures on a global scale in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific, making distinctly different kinds of products: chemicals, commodity and high performance plastics, agri-nutrients and metals.
The company recorded a net profit of US$ 5.7 billion in 2018. Sales revenues for 2018 totaled US$ 45 billion while total assets stood at US$ 85 billion. Production in 2018 was 75.3 million metric tons. It has more than 33,000 employees worldwide and operates in around 50 countries.
T&I is tasked with enabling and driving Innovation across SABIC. To this end, it both develops new technology itself and it taps into the innovation base outside SABIC. TV plays a key role in managing a structured innovation capability responsible for identifying and realizing technology options either to reinforce the current SBU’s asset core or to create new businesses at a corporate level for future (S)BU’s. To this end the TV has four instruments at its disposal:
- Venturing: investing equity in start-up companies, usually in the form of minority shares of 10%-30%, and fulfilling Board seats in them.
- Licensing-in: acquiring a license permitting the use of technologies developed by start-up companies/universities or institutes.
- Acquisition: acquiring start-up companies (usually private companies) which are light in assets.
- Joint Development Agreement: jointly investing funds and resources to co-develop a new technology, product, service or application. (In practice, such commercial agreements are often developed by SBU’s or T&I Corporate Programs.)
TV is responsible for the for the development of an investment strategy consistent with SABIC business needs, the rationale for a transaction, the investment in start-up companies, representation of SABIC on the portfolio company boards and active management of the investment portfolio.
The Investment Manager is responsible for working with the Director, Portfolio Manager and Technology Managers as well as the SABIC corporate functions to ensure appropriate deal structuring for each transaction, completion of the required due diligence, negotiation with the third party, including finalization of legal agreements and representation of SABIC on the board of directors, if required. Further, the Investment Manager is responsible for building and maintaining the internal and external stakeholder network as well as full compliance with SABIC’s investment governance process.
Job Purpose & Responsibilities:
Project management of potential & active projects/transactions, leading an internal team to work through the business development/deal flow process.
- Responsible for due diligence and completion of potential investment opportunities in a consistent manner and in compliance with Technology Venturing guidelines
- Represent SABIC on boards of directors and/or as a fund to fund limited partner representative.
- Maintain oversight of existing portfolio investments including responsibility for managing relationships with portfolio companies, fiduciary and financial planning
- Active engagement with portfolio companies to ensure P&L supervision, financial reporting to stakeholders and cash management
- Responsible for making recommendations for follow-on transactions with portfolio companies
- Responsible for financial analysis for technology venturing, including portfolio company monitoring and reporting
- Provide advisory support to Director-TV in key areas like TV governance, key corporate initiatives and reporting
- Manage internal and external relationships and alignment with internal & external business partners, including SBU staff, T&I Staff, Corporate Functions, Shared Services, SABIC M&A, industry organization, banks, current & potential business partners
- Represent SABIC in the external innovation and venturing world such as Corporate Venture Networks and industry events, as and when needed.
- Contribute to the wanted culture change at SABIC by acting as a role model and giving visibility to innovation.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
BS/BA/MS Degree in Finance, Accounting, Engineering, or equivalent required.
- Professional Degree in business (preferably MBA) or finance
- Minimum 10 years of operations, commercial, venture capital – Minimum 3 years or more of direct leadership experience a plus
- Demonstrated leadership driving change and mobilizing resources in a global environment
- Demonstrated business acumen, operational and commercial mindset
- Ability to model and effectively communicate outcomes and scenarios under differing conditions
- Ability to interface with and influence SBU Leaders, T&I Leaders & SABIC leadership
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to independently & proactive deliver in a complex internal & external environment
- Strong and effective communication skills across a multi-national and cross-functional organization
- Risk tolerance to deliver highly uncertain & early stage technologies in a strategic venture-like environment
- Good understanding of finance, modelling and P&L/cash flow management
- Good communication skills in English
- You must submit your application for employment online to be considered. Please submit your resume using the “Apply Now/Apply” option on this page.
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process
- You must be willing to submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process
- You must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
- Relocation if available
SABIC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and as such will not discriminate in its employment practices, including recruiting and hiring practices, based on a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
SABIC is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms/employment agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of SABIC about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at SABIC via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of SABIC; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by SABIC as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.
If interested, please apply here.