Westwood Ventures, Alumni Ventures Group’s (AVG’s) fund for UCLA alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time Managing Partner who will who can contribute in both venture capital investing (sourcing, recruiting, researching, and evaluating deals) and building our community (fundraising, community engagement, and relationship development). Westwood Ventures, which is launching its second fund in early 2021, is a part of Alumni Ventures Group (AVG), which creates and manages venture capital funds for accredited investors seeking smart, simple access to diversified venture portfolios. In 2019, AVG was the third most active venture investor in the US.
The successful Managing Partner at Westwood Ventures will drive enhanced deal quality and improve co-investing opportunities for AVG Funds and investors. As Managing Partner of the Fund, you will report to AVG’s Investment Teams Board (AVG’s CEO, CIO, CCO, COO, and CPO). This is a full-time position based in San Francisco, CA with some travel required for the successful execution of responsibilities. (This role will begin remotely, but AVG’s Bay Area team plans to operate from a San Francisco office again in 2021 as public health allows.)
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AVG has raised over $500 million; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
- Base Salary
- Carried Interest
- Equity in AVG
- Competitive Benefits
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or MS/MA preferred
- Significant VC investing experience across various sectors and stages
- Entrepreneurial DNA; broad operating background a plus
- Demonstrated experience in implementing and executing standardized business processes
- Alumnus or professional alumnus of the UCLA community strongly preferred
Requirements for an Ideal Candidate
- Significant connections to and influence in the venture investing ecosystem. Ready and able to engage a network of venture and startup professionals who can provide you and Westwood Ventures access to a high number of exceptional investing opportunities
- Strong ties to a number of academic and incubator communities at the leading edge of the startup scene
- Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies and innovation, as evidenced by a professional track record of meaningful involvement in the startup space and personal involvement with opportunities around cutting-edge technology
- Experience advising, consulting, and valuing emerging companies and/or new technologies
- Strong teamwork with HQ teams to achieve goals, compliance, and open communication
- Track record of investing including significant venture deals sourced from a personal, professional network of venture and startup connections
- Knowledge and comfort with current events and trends impacting the venture investing ecosystem
- Exceptional financial and venture acumen:
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate venture investing opportunities
- Strong research and analytical skills, particularly venture investing
- Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Familiarity with deal structures and closing processes (ability to read, analyze, and assess term sheets)
- High level of gravitas and understanding of how the venture community functions and AVG’s place within it
- Domain expertise in one or more tech/startup sectors
- Strong fundraising skills and ability to excel in all aspects of holding meetings, taking calls, follow-up, and closing
- Nurture the UCLA community by holding meetings, attending events, working with HQ
- With CCO and VP of Marketing, work to establish specific fundraising goals
- Superior relationship development/management skills with a comfort and desire to regularly interact with potential community members
- Track record of being able to build meaningful relationships with UHNW and HNW individuals
- Strong influence and connections within the UCLA community and university ecosystem
- Meet and exceed regular, periodic goals as established by HQ and all appropriate functional departments (i.e. Community, Office of Investments, etc.).
- Establish, manage, and grow personal relationships with fellow alumni throughout the venture community and well beyond
- Identify top-tier deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help cement deal flow for the fund
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including the company teams, competitors, and customers
- Help oversee and manage due diligence
- Manage the Westwood Ventures team, directing, coaching, and mentoring the fund’s second chair.
- Work directly the funds’ second chair on pipeline management and deal opportunities
- Present companies to Investment Committee, and respond to Investment Committee, CIO and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate Investment Committee meetings
- Lead and close conversations and meetings with Fund investors
- Serve as the primary face of the fund, and help drive community growth, strength, and effectiveness
- Work directly with the AVG portfolio companies to develop a strong relationship to facilitate future investment opportunities
- Lead investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Engage with and support our Fellows, provide mentorship and leverage their time to support fund activities
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
- Be an exceptional teammate and partner for the fund, your sister funds, and fellow colleagues
- Adhere to AVG policies and procedures regarding conduct, job performance, information management and administrative functions, communicating appropriately regarding any need for exceptions
If interested, please apply here.