VU Texas, an affiliate of VU Venture Fund from UT alumni, VU alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, Managing Partner who can contribute in both venture capital investing (sourcing, recruiting, researching, and evaluating deals) and building our community (fundraising, community engagement, and relationship development). VU Texas, launched its first fund in early 2021, which creates and manages venture capital funds for accredited investors seeking smart, simple access to diversified venture portfolios. In 2020, VU VP was the second most active venture investor in the US.
The successful Managing Partner at VU Texas will drive enhanced deal quality and improve co-investing opportunities for VU VP Funds and investors. As Managing Partner of the Fund, you will partner closely with VU Texas Founder & General Partner. This position is based in Austin, TX with some travel required for the successful execution of responsibilities.
ABOUT VU Texas
VU Texas’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, VU Texas is small but growing rapidly, in US across Austin, Dallas, Bay Area and other markets.
VU Texas provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. VU Texas offers multiple distinct funds, including: VU VP Funds that support the early stage and entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. VU Texas is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
VU Texas has invested in over 15+ portfolio companies on behalf of many accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community that includes investors, entrepreneurs, technology experts, subscribers and community members. VU Texas typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
· Carried Interest
· Equity in VU Texas
· MBA or MS/MA preferred
· Significant VC investing experience across various sectors and stages
· Significant interest to focus on Technology and Deep tech sector
· Killer Entrepreneurial DNA; broad operating background a plus
· Demonstrated experience in implementing and executing standardized business processes
· Alumnus or professional alumnus of the UT, Austin community strongly preferred
Requirements for an Ideal Candidate
· Significant connections to and influence in the venture investing ecosystem. Ready and able to engage a network of venture and startup professionals who can provide you and VU Texas access to a high number of exceptional investing opportunities
· Strong ties to a number of academic and incubator communities at the leading edge of the startup scene
· Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies and innovation, as evidenced by a professional track record of meaningful involvement in the startup space and personal involvement with opportunities around cutting-edge technology
· Experience advising, consulting, and valuing emerging companies and/or new technologies
· Strong teamwork with the Founder & teams to achieve goals, compliance, and open communication
· Track record of investing including significant venture deals sourced from a personal, professional network of venture and startup connections
· Knowledge and comfort with current events and trends impacting the venture investing ecosystem
· Exceptional financial and venture acumen:
· Demonstrated ability to evaluate venture investing opportunities
· Strong research and analytical skills, particularly venture investing
· Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
· Familiarity with deal structures and closing processes (ability to read, analyze, and assess term sheets)
· High level of gravitas and understanding of how the venture community functions and VU Texas’s place within it
· Domain expertise in one or more tech/startup sectors
· Strong fundraising skills and ability to excel in all aspects of holding meetings, taking calls, follow-up, and closing
· Nurture the Austin community by holding meetings, attending events, working with Founder
· Superior relationship development/management skills with a comfort and desire to regularly interact with potential community members
· Track record of being able to build meaningful relationships with UHNW and HNW individuals
· Strong influence and connections within the UT community and university ecosystem
· Meet and exceed regular, periodic goals as established by Founder and all appropriate functional departments (i.e., Community, Office of Investments, etc.).
· Establish, manage, and grow personal relationships with fellow VC’s throughout the venture community and well beyond
· Identify top-tier deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help cement deal flow for the fund
· Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
· Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including the company teams, competitors, and customers
· Help oversee and manage due diligence
· Manage the VU Texas team, directing, coaching, and mentoring the fund’s second chair.
· Work directly the funds’ second chair on pipeline management and deal opportunities
· Present companies to Investment Committee, and respond to Investment Committee, CIO and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate Investment Committee meetings
· Lead and close conversations and meetings with Fund investors
· Serve as the primary face of the fund, and help drive community growth, strength, and effectiveness
· Work directly with the VU Texas portfolio companies to develop a strong relationship to facilitate future investment opportunities
· Lead investor relations and potential investor outreach
· Engage with and support our Fellows, provide mentorship and leverage their time to support fund activities
· Help supervise back-end functions as needed
· Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
· Be an exceptional teammate and partner for the fund, your sister funds, and fellow colleagues
· Adhere to VU Texas policies and procedures regarding conduct, job performance, information management and administrative functions, communicating appropriately regarding any need for exceptions
IF interested, please apply here.