As the Managing Director, Tin Shed Ventures and Corporate Development you will report directly to the Chief Product Officer of Patagonia Works. In this role you will be responsible for strategy, sourcing, evaluating, structuring, negotiating and closing transactions for Patagonia related to the following areas: Tin Shed Ventures- its in-house venture fund, investments in renewable energy and alternative investments classes to mitigate Patagonia’s environmental footprint, growing and expanding Patagonia’s emerging businesses, expansion of Patagonia’s philanthropy corporate development, mergers and acquisitions, and any other strategic investments or transactions in support of the company’s mission to save our home planet.
In this role, you will also be responsible for promoting Patagonia’s mission and public benefit purposes, stakeholder capitalism, and the governance principles of “benefit” corporations on behalf of Patagonia. This work will have a particular emphasis on promoting those values and principles, as well as diversity, inclusion and social and environmental justice, at the companies in which Tin Shed Ventures invests. Managing Director, Tin Shed Ventures and Corporate Development, you will manage a team of two, and will be responsible for mentoring, training and creating opportunities for the team to grow and develop.
Essential Job Functions
- Strategy and Corporate Development:
- Support Patagonia in the development of strategies and tactics to achieve its long-range goals and current business plans and objectives.
- Define investment strategies for Tin Shed Ventures, mitigating Patagonia’s environmental footprint, expanding Patagonia’s philanthropic impact, growing and expanding Patagonia’s new and emerging businesses, M&A and emerging company objectives.
- Conduct market research to analyze trends and competitive environment, including identification of barriers to entry, strategies for entry, competitive landscape and overviews, and potential strategic alliances.
- Work with senior management, Finance, Legal, and other internal stakeholders to perform business analysis to support the evaluation of projects and opportunities.
- Create financial/operating models where applicable to support business case for contemplated strategies and investment opportunities.
- Lead preparation of well-argued and structure presentations to Board and senior management as required.
- Deal Flow, Execution & Investment Management:
- Oversee research, deal sourcing and origination, financial assessment/screening, and lead the negotiation of key partnerships, investments and M&A opportunities to achieve Patagonia’s growth and investment strategy.
- Develop new market initiatives and investments, assess new markets and analyze business opportunities.
- Conduct financial feasibility studies and develop proposals for new business opportunities.
- Negotiate and close corporate and business development transactions and investments.
- Prepare information to be used for accounting, tax and finance to complete and account for transactions and new ventures/investments (i.e.: purchase accounting proposals, valuations, strategic recap for bank and tax).
- Develop metrics and reporting requirements to monitor and manage investment performance, environmental footprint mitigation achieved by the Tin Shed Ventures portfolio, and specify reporting needed by outside entities and internal stakeholders (accounting/finance/tax/legal) and senior leadership.
- Oversee development of proposals and budgets.
Who you are:
- Passionate: cares deeply about saving our home planet
- Leader: act as a thought leader, build trusted relationships, influence decisions and drive urgency on critical priorities
- Strategic: able to think big picture and drive work accordingly
- Strong Communicator: excellent communication and presentation skills
- Self-reflective- Acknowledge own’s experience and experiences of other.
Experience you bring:
- B.A./B.S. (finance, economics), J.D. or MBA highly desired
- Minimum 10-15 years’ transactional experience in venture capital, M&A, capital markets, joint ventures, technology licensing, business development, financial analysis and strategic planning.
- Experience in defining industry sector trends.
- International experience required.
- A demonstrated track record of success of leading and negotiating a variety of large, complex M&A transactions, joint ventures and investments.
- Strong skills in strategic and quantitative analysis, project management, coupled with strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills in order to gain trust, negotiate business objectives and work directly with a broad group of senior executives throughout the company.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical orientation, and an ability to structure an issue and analyze alternative solutions.
- Proven experience negotiating and closing complex transactions.
- Must have operational excellence knowledge and proven project management skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, manage teams and supervise outside professionals.
- Excellent applications experience (MS Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical abilities.
- Impeccable oral and verbal communications and presentation skills.
If interested, please apply here.