Samsung NEXT Ventures provides early-stage capital, expertise and access to Samsung to accelerate builder and founder success, bringing strategic value to Samsung in the form of meaningful insights and collaborations. NEXT Ventures invests primarily in software and services companies in four broad technology areas: artificial intelligence, edge computing, digital health and media technology. In addition, we emphasize technologies and business models that empower the consumer and recognize the diversity of the future consumer. We are a global organization with offices in Silicon Valley, New York, Berlin, Tel Aviv and Seoul.
Founded In 2012, Samsung NEXT Has Four Key Functions In The Global Software Ecosystem
Samsung NEXT Ventures is a part of Samsung NEXT. Samsung NEXT champions builders and founders inventing a more purposeful future.
- Venture – Investing in early-stage startups
- Partnerships – Helping startups successfully partner with Samsung business units
- M&A – Acquiring startups to connect and scale with our businesses
- Product – Building new software and services businesses at scale
NEXT Ventures is looking for an East Coast Managing Director (MD) in our New York office with an extensive network and experience in venture capital. The MD will be one of five senior leaders of the global investment team with direct responsibility for a small team of investors in New York. We recognize the importance of diversity in our investment strategy and value a candidate that can bring a fresh perspective to our strategy.
- Lead/manage a small team of investment professionals (2) in New York
- Contribute to overall vision and direction of NEXT Ventures and Samsung NEXT
- Lead deal teams across New York and Mountain View offices
- Conduct all aspects of investment: development of investment themes, sourcing, business and technical due diligence, negotiation, approval, closing
- Guide and manage performance of portfolio companies, including service as board director or observer and principal point of contact with portfolio companies
- Conduct internal business development to deliver collaborations and partnerships between Samsung and portfolio companies
- Establish and maintain strong professional networks inside and outside Samsung
- Provide thought leadership in investment function and technology domains
- 15+ years of experience in technology industries.
- 15+ years seed/early stage venture capital, startup leadership, corporate investment or similar roles
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Extensive and deep professional network in startup community on the East Coast
- Proven record of success with strong references.
- Board-level experience (director or observer).
- Undergraduate degree (technical or engineering degree a plus); MBA or JD preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in our focus areas (New Gen Media/Media Tech, AI, Edge, Consumer Empowerment, Healthcare) a strong plus
- Experience navigating in a large corporate organization
- Available to travel internationally (3-4x per year)
- Verifiable thought leadership in technology and startup investment
- Proven verbal and written communication skills – able to communicate complexity simply
- Comfortable working in teams, establishing relationships and interacting with colleagues at all levels
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify core issues quickly.
- Driver of Culture: high stamina/energy/flexibility/efficiency, low ego; community contributor
- Strong interpersonal skills; relentlessly positive and proactive teammate
- Fast learner and open to constructive criticism
- Living in or ready to move to the New York metropolitan area
At Samsung NEXT, we hold the steadfast belief that diversity and inclusion is essential to realize our mission and is a must-have for us to do our best work. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Contact us to request accommodation
If interested, please apply here.