We are looking for a highly-motivated and talented individual to join one of the leading venture capital investment firms committed to sustainability and climate action. S2G Ventures is looking for a Vice President to play a key role in our newly formed fund focused on clean energy and energy transition. As a member of the platform team, this Vice President will spend their time supporting our efforts to build high-impact relationships with industry and support our portfolio as they go-to-market. This role will be critical to scaling the platform function as we look for opportunities to engage with industry in a scalable and meaningful way. As a Vice President you will gain experience in relationship development, evaluating strategic partnership opportunities, leveraging new tools and data to improve processes and developing materials to support our ecosystem engagement efforts. The Vice President will report to the Head of Corporate Development and will have the opportunity to work closely with senior members of the firm, ecosystem partners and external advisors.
This Vice President role will support the efforts of the newly launched S2G Clean Energy Fund, a $300MM commitment to support energy transition. This individual will have the unique opportunity to join a fund in its formative days and influence the long-term trajectory of the fund while benefiting from the infrastructure and expertise of the S2G platform. Core areas of interest for the fund are both company and asset investments in all parts of the clean energy value chain, from development platforms to hardware / software companies to services plays supporting the energy transition. The clean energy fund will identify sub-sectors across the energy transition landscape that are ripe for growth, and form a multi-stage portfolio including venture, growth stage and asset platform investments.
About S2G Ventures
S2G Ventures, the direct investment team of Builders Vision, partners with entrepreneurs who are working on solutions to some of the world’s greatest challenges across the food, agriculture, oceans, and clean energy markets. We provide capital, mentorship, and value-added resources to companies pursuing innovative market-based solutions that generate positive social, environmental, and financial returns. We provide our partners with flexible capital solutions that can range from seed and venture funding through growth equity to debt and infrastructure financing. For more information about S2G Ventures, please visit https://www.s2gventures.com/.
Our vision is “a humane and healthy planet,” which we relentlessly pursue and advance through our mission, “shifting markets and minds for good.”
Diversity, equity, inclusion and justice are at the core of our mission to shift markets and minds for good. We believe the change we want to see toward a humane and healthy planet starts with us. We understand that diversity, equity, inclusion and justice are long-term commitments, and while we aspire to be a catalyst for change, our journey starts from within. We are committed to learning from others and doing the work to become a more diverse, equitable, inclusive and just organization, and will seek to promote those same values in the world around us. We know that a diverse workforce allows everyone to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to achieve the organization’s mission. We actively seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Key Responsibilities Include:
The position is designed for an individual who is interested in expanding their knowledge of venture capital, opportunities in sustainability and climate action, and business operations. Responsibilities will revolve around three primary types of work:
Work across the team to support ecosystem engagement efforts with Corporates, Investors and other influencers in target industries.
- Establish and manage partnerships in order to gain industry insight, co-invest, generate revenue and partnership opportunities for our portfolio companies
- Act as a bridge between the S2G Team, our portfolio and our ecosystem to ensure that relationships and knowledge are effectively utilized
- Build a comprehensive view of S2G’s ecosystem and identify gaps to proactively address
- Expand our ecosystem by responding to inbound interest and proactively cultivating new relationships
- Support ecosystem engagement across the firm by preparing intelligence and materials for meetings, including briefing materials and meeting presentations
- Maintain systems and processes to deliver world-class account management
- Work closely with the Data + Tech team to translate business needs into actionable dashboards and tools for the S2G team
Market Intelligence & Firm Operations
Conduct research on activities across S2G target sectors in order to identify early adopters and opportunities to engage strategically with our ecosystem to catalyze more capital and/or accelerate the adoption of new technologies that can enable a more humane and healthy planet.
- Monitor industry activity to develop actionable market insights to guide ecosystem engagement and portfolio support
- Develop mechanisms to aggregate insights from across the industry and translate them into action items that can support S2G’s mission to develop a more healthy and humane planet
- Periodically conduct deep-dives on specific market sectors to keep a pulse on market trends and strategic opportunities for partner engagement
- Develop knowledge management process and workflows to translate insight into action
- Support internal reporting and strategic planning with market intelligence and insights generated in partnership with the data + tech team
Support portfolio company growth through go-to-market support.
- Develop an understanding of portfolio company strategic needs and make connections, where relevant, to the S2G ecosystem.
- Work across Platform and Investment Teams to help manage portfolio company requests related to go-to-market initiatives.
- Track execution and evaluate value delivered
- Occasional opportunities to work directly with portfolio company teams to support their go-to-market initiatives
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to think creatively and manage multiple priorities and stakeholders with professionalism and maturity
- Independent thinker and self-starter with ability to research ad hoc topics and present information in a succinct format
- A track record of going above and beyond what is asked and not afraid of failure; Actively learns from mistakes and consistently improves
- Excellent communication skills; ability to work independently and cross-functionally
- Experience conducting market research, developing a narrative around data and preparing presentations to convey a “story” based on data
- Strong analytical abilities
- Approximately 5-10 years of experience; relevant experience could include: consulting, financial services (venture capital, private equity, banking), start-up, executive search or market research.
- An ability to build and maintain good relationships with colleagues, partners and entrepreneurs
- Experience in the energy sector (including clean power, mobility, industrial manufacturing, and built environment) is nice to have but not necessary
- Experience with Salesforce is nice to have but not necessary
You will report to and work closely with the Principal of S2G Ventures. This is a salaried position working out of our Chicago office.
All offers of employment are contingent verification of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
S2G Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.