JP Morgan & Chase
Morgan Health is a business unit at JPMorgan Chase that is focused on improving the quality, equity and affordability of employer-sponsored health care in the United States.
- Accelerate health system improvement through a $250 million capital allocation from JPMC balance sheet . Morgan Health Ventures will deploy JPMC capital to invest in health care companies that are driving overall system improvements.
- Drive innovation in the commercial marketplace and to improve health care access and outcomes. The organization will share data and insights on how the U.S. health care system could work better for the 150 million people in the United States with employer-sponsored health insurance. In close collaboration with JPMorgan Chase Benefits team, the group is also focused on improving health care for our U.S.-based employees and dependents through a variety of pilot programs, including expanding access to accountable care models.
- Promote health equity . The organization will work to identify and address health disparities in the U.S. health care system that impact our employees and their families, as well as the communities where we operate.
Morgan Health is led by Dan Mendelson, CEO, and reports to Peter Scher, Vice Chairman and Member of the JPMC Operating Committee. The talented and diverse Morgan Health team is based in Washington, DC, New York and Boston.
The Morgan Health Ventures Vice President will be part of a team focused on accelerating health system improvement. The organization will initially deploy up to $250 million in promising healthcare companies for the benefit of JPMorgan Chase employees and the broader employer sponsored healthcare system. JPMC’s focus will be on technologies and services that improve health outcomes, affordability and equity in commercially insured populations. The ideal candidate will be able to manage and execute the following responsibilities:
- Lead sourcing, structuring, and underwriting of healthcare IT/services transactions
- Interpret and forecast healthcare market trends
- Develop investment thesis
- Prepare and execute on direct-to-company sourcing strategies
- Meet with management teams as part of the sourcing and diligence processes
- Conduct interviews with subject matter experts and summarize secondary research
- Oversee, build and maintain financial and deal models
- Manage investment due diligence process, including in-depth analysis on companies and industries
- Liaise with target company leadership throughout the process
- Define diligence process priorities and identify key questions to be addressed
- Collaborate with junior team members in the conduct of due diligence, where necessary
- Work closely with JPMC investment areas (e.g.: financial, legal, regulatory) to structure and execute transactions
- Create measurement criteria to evaluate the success of each transaction in improving quality and reducing cost of employer health, as well as other metrics of importance to JPMC
- Oversee the synthesis of diligence findings in a PowerPoint, Excel, and/or Word based investment committee memoranda
- Support portfolio companies
- Represent the fund as a board member or observer, as appropriate
- Actively support the execution of tasks, projects, and priorities supporting portfolio company success
- Represent JPMC as a valued partner
- Create and maintain relationships with peers at investment firms and other industry partners
- Represent JPMC as a valued partner and source of positive collaboration to health care leaders to identify opportunities for investment
- Be a thought leader, maintain up-to-date knowledge on industry and technology trends, as well as attend and speak at industry events/conferences
- Support fund strategy development and operations
- Assist fund leaders with the definition of fund-level priorities and strategies, as well as operational processes and procedures
- Invest in the future of Morgan Health Ventures, helping to drive continued improvement of systems, processes and infrastructure
- Collaborate with the Morgan Health Innovation and Equity team members to help build an innovative and supportive culture to ensure success
Professional Skills And Experience
- Investment Expertise: Minimum 5+ years of experience in venture capital, private equity and/or corporate ventures with strong managerial experience, particularly in the execution of transactions from origination through closing
- Healthcare Sector Expertise: Understands clinical, operational and financial drivers that impact healthcare organizations with a particular focus on products and services for the employer marketplace
- Development of Partnerships: Capability and desire to build relationships and network across the healthcare industry and within JPMC
- Collaborative Approach: Highly collaborative management and work-style, pragmatic and resourceful problem solver able to work across JPMC investment areas (e.g. financial, legal, regulatory) to structure and execute transactions
- Nimble Approach: Experience investing in companies while also piloting and/or testing products and services; responds well to change and has a high tolerance for ambiguity
- Process Mindset: Experience creating and driving a rigorous vetting process to identify high potential investment opportunities
- Ownership Mentality: Approaches work with an unparalleled level of personal ownership, responsibly, integrity, and ethics
- Passion for the Patient: Passion for improving health outcomes and the patient experience; making it better for everyone
- Ability to Travel: Morgan Health is currently operating in a hybrid environment (40% office); assumed that the candidate will have the ability to travel (up to 40%); New York or Boston based
If interested, please apply here.