Moderne Ventures is an early-stage venture fund investing in technology companies within finance, insurance, home services and real estate – multi-trillion-dollar industries that comprise 20% of US GDP and are ripe for innovation.
Moderne is investing out of its second fund with $350M AUM+; we also run an Industry Immersion Program, the Moderne Passport, designed to foster innovation, partnership and growth between our network of 700+ industry partners and new emerging technology companies.
Moderne is seeking an Investment Principal to join the team.
Investment Principal Key Responsibilities
- Source and assess new deals, expand our Venture Network and help portfolio companies be successful
- Help build deal pipeline by generating company target lists from thematic research of compelling investment themes
- Build relationships with VC peers and operating companies to identify high potential investment opportunities
- Screen investment pitches
- Due diligence and analysis
- Vet and build sensitized detailed financial operating and returns models
- Analyze target companies and their industries by understanding competitive dynamics, market drivers, business models, opportunities and risks
- Run comparable company analyses
- Speak with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders of target investments
- Help prepare detailed investment memoranda alongside Principals/Partners for approval by the investment committee
- Work with companies, partners and investors to help grow value of the underlying portfolio and create opportunities for our industry and venture network
- Monitor and record financial and qualitative performance of portfolio companies on a quarterly basis
- Track fund returns in conjunction with fund administrator
- Improve the firm’s data management capabilities
Qualifications and Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:
- Previous senior-level experience sourcing and evaluating investment opportunities at a top-tier Venture Capital fund or Growth Equity firm
- Proven track record of sourcing, structuring, evaluating, and closing successful investments
- Meaningful and broad existing connections within the venture capital and early-stage startup ecosystem
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to understand business models
- Exemplary interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Deep passion for technology, investing, startups, and entrepreneurship
- Chicago-based or willingness to relocate
Moderne Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Candidate must be able to submit verification of his/her legal right to work in the United States, without company sponsorship.