Lewis & Clark Ventures
About Lewis & Clark Ventures
- Lewis & Clark Ventures is an early-stage tech fund focused on B2B software companies.
- Our firm was founded by former operators with conviction that innovation and entrepreneurial talent are plentiful outside of traditional capital centers.
- We most often lead late Seed/early Series A rounds, are deploying our second fund, and generally invest $2-3 million in each portfolio company.
The mission of the Principal role is to help Lewis & Clark Ventures succeed by sourcing, analyzing, championing, leading due diligence, and closing investment transactions. The role is expected to establish close relationships with key influencers, partners, and entrepreneurs in the early-stage technology ecosystem. This role also works closely with all other fund team members in a highly collaborative environment. Importantly, the Principal actively assists portfolio companies in creating value and contributes as a Board observer and/or Board Member. While the position is based in St. Louis, consideration will be given to remote candidates.
Deal Flow: Proactively source and screen potential companies in which to invest based on the fund’s established criteria. This includes finding and building relationships with entrepreneurs, attending industry conferences, reviewing pitch decks, updating CRM information, and participating in deal flow meetings.
Research & Diligence: Lead the entire due diligence process (market, financial, customer, etc.) for deals and ultimately form a viewpoint on investment opportunities. Craft investment memos and presentation materials.
Negotiate & Close Investments: Lead transactions through to the close. Negotiations with the target company, the legalese of term sheets, and working through deal documents are important skills that the Principal needs to be successful.
Board Work: Part of the key responsibilities of the Principal role is to work with existing portfolio companies to help them succeed. A strong understanding of how the business operates and how to guide improvements is critical. Having a voice in the boardroom, either as an observer or as a board member, is also critical. Lead the process of developing financial models relating to financings, restructurings, valuation analyses, and liquidity events.
- Work closely with junior team members to help develop and mentor them.
- Provide ongoing feedback.
- Identify professional development and career pathing.
- Create an open-door culture that builds trust and creates an environment of collaboration.
- Assist with fund valuations and reporting.
- Support fundraising and investor relations activities.
- Become an active participant in the early-stage technology ecosystem.
- 7-10 years professional experience in venture capital, growth equity, private equity, management consulting or investment banking with a strong preference for prior experience investing in B2B software companies.
- MBA or graduate degree (MD, PhD, JD) from accredited university in finance, economics, entrepreneurship, engineering or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to make things happen quickly and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and collaborative environment.
- Exceptional analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Preference for St. Louis or Midwest ties.
- A track record of extraordinary professional, academic, and extracurricular achievement.
- The ability to connect and leave a favorable impression with people from all backgrounds and walks of life.
- A naturally curious mind.
Belonging & Accommodations
Lewis & Clark Ventures provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Disclaimer: The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and levels of responsibility that will be required of positions given this title. This job description shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.