Clean Energy Ventures
Big change is underway at Clean Energy Ventures. We’re transitioning from a single fund firm to a multi-fund, international, diverse venture capital team. And, now more than ever, we are focused on beating back climate change through innovation.
We’re a different kind of climate tech VC firm: we lean into complex technologies, we specialize in transforming strong technical teams into strong commercial teams, and we have been investing in climate tech for nearly 20 years. We seek out multifaceted — often hardtech — solutions which will enable decarbonization at massive scale, invest, and provide hands-on guidance to help our startups succeed. You could be a great fit for our team if you’re excited by vetting game-changing opportunities, overseeing deep technical due diligence, learning alongside our seasoned investment team and network of venture partners, and want a chance to mentor the most promising movers and shakers in climate tech.
Our team is transparent, growth-oriented, and inclusive. We believe in the work we’re doing to help save the planet and the power of the technologies and people we invest in. We are hiring new team members at all levels to support this exciting next stage of growth.
We are hiring a new cohort of Principals who can develop dealflow, drive due diligence and support our portfolio companies after investment. Our Principals are the primary drivers of our screening and due diligence process and contribute significantly to the reputation of our firm and advancement of our portfolio companies.
The right candidate will be driven, thorough, and inquisitive. The ability to find and develop relationships with entrepreneurs, think critically about their technologies and businesses, and bring market and technology understanding into investment decisions is key to success in this role.
Ultimately, you’re responsible for executing the discovery and evaluation of our investments while advancing awareness and understanding of our firm and portfolio companies in the larger ecosystem.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
● You will source new investment opportunities that meet our investment criteria throughout the North America, Europe, and Israel.
● You will drive due diligence efforts for potential investments, coordinating a working group of venture partners and CEV investment team members
● You will support robust decision-making during due diligence by providing strong financial and market analysis
● You will participate actively in and help manage our deal pipeline, screening, and scouting processes operated in conjunction with our sister organization, CEVG
● You will engage weekly with our network of peer investors and strategic co-investors, representing CEV on regular check-ins
● You will contribute to the growth of our firm by making proactive recommendations for process improvements, new areas of investigation, and more
● You will manage Sr. Associates and MBA fellows on our team and create a receptive environment for their professional development at our firm and beyond
● You will participate in roadmapping exercises conducted by MBA and PhD fellows to help us revise and improve our investment thesis in important sub-sectors of climate tech
● You will act as a value-add board observer on your path to being a board director
● You will represent Clean Energy Ventures at industry events and conferences, and publish and speak about our climate tech mission and strategy
Qualifications & Experience Required
Qualified candidates will possess a strong combination of the following:
● You are passionate about solving climate change and being a good steward of the environment
● You have developed a strong personal network in energy, climate tech, academia and/or government that could add value to the firm
● You have participated in venture capital or private equity due diligence efforts that culminated in successful investment in the millions of dollars
● You have sat on panels, judged startup competitions, and/or mentored startups
● You have a deep technical or market understanding of several sub-sectors within climate tech and have shown an ability to identify key challenges and opportunities in those areas
● You are a reliable, proactive teammate with high emotional intelligence, especially in contexts requiring teamwork
● You have extremely high integrity with a strong reputation as an honest, transparent, diligent, and trustworthy person
If you’re in doubt that you meet each of these requirements, but believe you are a good fit for our organization, please apply! We realize you could be a great candidate and still not check every box.
Compensation & Benefits
We provide competitive and holistic compensation to all our team members, including:
● Competitive salary
● Carried interest (i.e., a share in the profits from fund performance)
● 401(k) and additional retirement plan benefits
● Healthcare coverage or healthcare coverage subsidy
● Unlimited vacation policy, mental health personal days, generous sick leave, plus a week-long winter break at the end of December
● Paid parental leave and medical leave of up to 20 weeks; short and long term disability
● Work from home office stipend and cell phone stipend
Clean Energy Ventures operates in a hybrid work environment when health and safety regulations permit. This role can be fulfilled remotely, with the expectation of monthly or semi-monthly travel.
At Clean Energy Ventures we aim to improve the diversity of our team. We also aim to enhance our team’s understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to identify and manage our own unconscious biases in the hiring process and otherwise. We encourage all qualified applicants from any background to apply for this role.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Clean Energy Ventures also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our team. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Clean Energy Ventures.
Clean Energy Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate in terms of recruitment, progression and terms and conditions of work on the basis of personal characteristics unrelated to inherent job requirements including gender, race, color, disability, political opinion, sexual orientation, age, religion, origin, and marital status.