bp Ventures is looking to hire a Venture Principal to support a Managing Partner in deal execution and portfolio management. This exciting role will require a mix of financial, technical and commercial skills as well as a knowledge of venture capital deal terms and structures.
Venturing is integral to enriching bp’s innovation landscape. bp Ventures has a track record of investing in ground-breaking innovation, creating new value for bp across dynamic markets. Since 2006 Ventures will have invested in 65+ entities, co-investing with more than 250 corporate and institutional venture capital groups.
By partnering with early- and growth-stage start-ups and the venture capital and corporate venture capital community, the bp Ventures team accelerates the development of accretive and radical technologies for bp. The Ventures team operates in highly dynamic internal and external markets, building and shaping options to build enhanced strategic and financial value for bp.
The Team’s Objectives Include
- Creating strategic options to access and deploy new technologies, business models and partners ahead of the competition, for possible scaling up in the future
- Delivering competitive financial returns and improving the financial value of bp’s R&D investments through incubation
- Scanning and Deal origination: While initially the role will be a generalist role, assisting in multiple sectors, eventually, the individual will likely have a focus area. The Venture Principal will be expected to attend conferences and network with the VC community to identify deal flow strategic to bp
- Deal Structuring, Negotiation, and Execution: Supports team in development of IM (Information Memo), ATN (Authority to Negotiate), and EFMs (Execute Finance Memorandum), peer review materials and materials for investment committee for deals in which Venture Principal is either supporting or leading on
- Portfolio Management: Venture Principal will support a Managing Partner in handling a portfolio of investments by sitting on 1-2 board seats that can grow up to 3-4 over time
- Deployment: Support in the creation of strategic value to bp by engaging with the internal bp network to deploy portfolio company technologies in bp
- Exit Management: Will support and help deliver financial value to bp by engaging with the bp shareholder representative in liquidation events such as an M&A and IPO
- Provides input to the creation of the over-arching strategic direction of the bp Ventures Team at a BU level, and within bp more broadly
- Drives Agile and Continuous Improvement Practices, benchmarking and longer-term planning. Leads the lessons learned process at the conclusion of each investment
- Drive and embed HSSE culture and behavior in region and more broadly across the team
- Preferred candidate is PhD, MBA or equivalent technical and/or commercial experience
- Required: Previous negotiation experience specific to complex deals and or venture capital. Deep expertise in deal term sheets and structures
- Required: Proven track record of negotiating complex multi-stakeholder deals
- Preferred: Strong financial skills, including financial modelling. With preference to expertise in modelling specific to venture capital or M&A
- Ideal candidate has a mixture of technical, financial and commercial skills, but candidates with strong deal experience without a technical background will absolutely be considered
- A strong team player able to interact with key players across the bp Group and businesses
- An entrepreneurial flair and a track record of working outside of traditional boundaries and norms
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and respond to changing requirements
- Ability to work in an uncertain and ambiguous business environment with few precedents
- Manages several activity streams with conflicting priorities
- Good presentation skills and ability to communicate complex data effectively
- The ability to communicate strategic clarity
- Willingness to challenge and question the status quo
If interested, please apply here.