M12 is the corporate venture capital arm of Microsoft focused on early-stage (primarily Series A-C) investments, spanning, cloud and data infrastructure, devops cybersecurity, metaverse/Web3, vertical SaaS- particularly in retail and financial services, healthcare, and digital biology. M12 accelerates the future of technology through investment, insights, and meaningful partnership with Microsoft.
We are honored to have backed teams at over 100 great companies since launching M12 in 2016 including 27 exits and 15 unicorns. Notable investments include Livongo, Aqua, Contrast Security, AtBay and Innovaccer. M12 is headquartered in San Francisco with presence in Seattle, Tel Aviv, London, and Bengaluru (Bengaluru).
We are looking for a Partner to develop and support our investment strategy in one or more areas of vertical SaaS with focus on retail and fintech, cyber-security and/or cloud & data infrastructure. This role may manage 1 analyst or associate. We place a premium on diversity of ideas and are excited to add new perspectives to our team. We value accountability, continuous learning, inclusivity, teamwork, transparency, and trust.
Develop Investment Thesis and Drive Investments
Develop an investment thesis and strategy for one or more focus areas (retail/fintech, cyber security, cloud, and data infrastructure) by conducting market research and analyses and leveraging input from industry experts (founders, venture capitalists, executives) to assess market opportunity including long-term opportunity, customer and user unmet needs, market, and competitive landscape. Outputs will include reports, market maps, competitive landscapes
- Drive and lead 2-3 investments (Series A, B) directly each year based on your thesis
- Leverage network of industry connections to drive deal sourcing and further cultivates executive relationships in startup and venture ecosystems to ensure high volume of sourcing opportunities.
- Generate deal flow for top tier deals by proactively identifying, assessing, and meeting with companies where there is potential for investment
- Analyze and synthesize through complex information (including the opportunity to partner with Microsoft), identify strengths and weaknesses of a startup, form a point of view to reach conviction.
Support Portfolio Companies & Engage with Microsoft Colleagues
- Adds value to portfolio companies by helping to recruit executives, raise funds, and move the company through the initial building phase (GTM, Product Business development)
- Builds trusted relationships and is confident engaging with senior Microsoft executives and presents presentations on relevant industry trends, competitive landscapes, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Computer Science or related field AND 4+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field AND 4+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- 3+ years experience investing, business development, strategic partnerships or related deal experience.
- Demonstrated track record of venture capital investing (or a strong angel investing track record and experience as a founding team member with experience raising venture capital)
- Experience as a board director or observer at technology startup
- Experience working with and/or advising entrepreneurs esp. in areas of product and GTM
- Demonstrate passion the enterprise tech space; fascinated with the startup ecosystem, new markets, and new ways of doing things
- Excellent communicator and high EQ (Emotional Intelligence)
- Demonstrated ability and desire to navigate and collaborate in a large matrixed, complex organization
- Has the ability to effectively lead and find solutions in a constantly changing environment.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field AND 5+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field AND 6+ years strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, building technology, and/or enterprise entrepreneurial ventures experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- 5+ years commercial business experience.
- Generates energy; is a source of positive, motivating energy and multiples the impact of the team by drawing out ideas, encouraging a growth mindset, and supporting throughout. Promotes creative and effective collaboration.
- Delivers success, defined as financial and strategic return for Microsoft; seeks ideas and improves upon solutions to deliver more value. Drives teams to push through real and perceived barriers to find the right solutions.
- Ability to influence internal and external audiences and stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills; can effectively lead and find solutions in a constantly changing environment.
- Manages and supports the development of an analyst or associate in the creation of investment thesis, sourcing, diligence, etc.
- Strategic thinker, with an understanding of market trends, a passion for technical and market analysis, and a capable writer ready to present to C-Suite leaders.
Corporate Ventures IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $101,200 – $194,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $130,000 – $213,200 per year.
Microsoft has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets (see below). The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role (except as noted below); the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year.
Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time. At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including merit increases, annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with Microsoft and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
Our commitment to pay equity We are committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. To learn more about pay equity and our other commitments to increase representation and strengthen our culture of inclusion, check out our annual Diversity & Inclusion Report. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/inside-microsoft/annual-report )
Understanding roles at Microsoft The top of this page displays the role for which the base pay ranges apply – Corporate Ventures IC4. The way we define roles includes two things: discipline (the type of work) and career stage (scope and complexity). The career stage has two parts – the first identifies whether the role is a manager (M), an individual contributor (IC), an admin-technician-retail (ATR) job, or an intern. The second part identifies the relative seniority of the role – a higher number (or later letter alphabetically in the case of ATR) indicates greater scope and complexity.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.