Seed / Early-stage venture capital firm based in Cambridge MA, with a focus on AI, ML and Data science is searching for an experienced General Partner to join the investment team of an established $100M Fund.
Link Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm that’s all in on data science and AI. With deep roots in Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA, amidst the highest density of data science experts, Link manages over $500M in committed capital with investment categories that include financial services, digital healthcare, e-commerce, payments, media, and cybersecurity.
Led by investors with deep data science founder and operator expertise, Link backs category-leading startups with proven technical competencies. Our portfolio companies leverage large data sets along with machine learning and AI technologies to fuel the future for both businesses and consumers – from improving decision making and operating efficiency, to saving time and money.
The co-founders have more than 50 years of direct venture capital experience and deployed more than $1 billion across 200 companies and generated top decile returns, including multiple unicorn ($1 Billion+) exits.
Investment sectors include, but are not limited to, consumer ecommerce, marketplaces, e-health, enterprise software, business and consumer services, SaaS, storage, enterprise infrastructure, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data analytics.
We’re passionate about partnering with and scaling enduring startups with proven technical teams revolutionizing how we work and live through the power of data, machine learning and AI technologies. These software and internet companies are improving operating efficiency and decision making, as well as saving time and money for both the business world and lives of consumers.
From day one, we lean in with time and dedicated counsel, offering an expert POV, plus direct access to an extended community of trusted industry leaders to help startups scale beyond the seed stage.
- Experience. We bring shared expertise in data & technology to everything we do, investing in and scaling category leaders transforming the future.
- Community. We’re rooted in connection and believe in cultivating collective wisdom by bringing experts of industry together.
- Strategy. Our blueprint consistently propels transformational companies far beyond the seed stage.
- Partnership. As a team, we’re committed to helping our portfolio companies thrive for the long-term. We believe in the generative power of exceptional teams and are committed to helping our portfolio companies thrive in the long-term
The firm is seeking to add an experienced General Partner (hereinafter, “Partner”) to its investment team for its latest fund. This Partner will be based in Cambridge, MA and a full member of the General Partnership (“GP”), with appropriate carried interest in the GP, and will report to the Managing Partners. The Partner will help run day-to-day operations of the fund, source and lead new investments, help recruit, mentor and manage the team, and assist in all aspects of fundraising. This person will be expected to bring relevant experience and thinking to our discussions about the evolution of our fund thesis, composition and structure. Candidates must have both extensive venture investment experience and work experience in the tech sector itself. Previous experience as a technology entrepreneur is strongly preferred but is not essential.
The most important qualifications are: strong, attributable track record of past success in technology investing, either with established venture firms or as an angel investor; past results in working with diverse teams; good judgment about people, strategy, and technology; a facility for working in fast-moving, entrepreneurial environments; and, an orientation towards and commitment to the venture capital asset class and of being a supportive, tireless advocate for the firm’s portfolio companies. These factors matter more than specific past positions, employers or educational credentials. You thrive on collaboration, consensus building, accountability, an aggressive investment orientation, a passion for building a next-generation venture capital platform with like-minded peers, and on raising the game of those around you while they raise yours.
- Source and evaluate opportunities for investment, assess investment risks, analyze financial data, and perform business and investment valuation.
- Co-lead and join the team on new investments and existing portfolio companies.
- Perform deal analysis and recommendations for follow-on investments in existing portfolio companies.
- Proactively source high quality new investment opportunities that fit our investment criteria.
- Manage due diligence process, write investment memos and assist with investment execution.
- Review and screen entrepreneurs’ pitch decks, conduct interviews with entrepreneurs, assist Partners and investment staff with due diligence.
- Understand and lead the full investment life cycle from due diligence, close process, pre and post funding support to follow-on funding.
- Support portfolio companies on various management, strategy and funding issues.
- Take Board seats at our portfolio companies, as appropriate.
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, limited partners, other investors, the media, lawyers and others in the tech ecosystem.
- Manage and provide mentorship to members of the investment team.
- Define a clear investment thesis and advocate and execute against that thesis.
- Develop his/her own deal flow and co-investor networks.
- Assist the Managing Partners in all fundraising activities including investor meetings, introductions, documentation and presentation preparation, and travel (as appropriate).
- Develop and deliver presentations on new investment industries and fund performance to fund partners, portfolio companies and limited partners.
- Identify areas of inefficiencies at the firm and suggest improvements (e.g., diligence process, deal sourcing, recruiting).
- Evaluate opportunities for the firm’s sponsorship of conferences, meetups, social events, incubators/accelerator demo days.
- Make a meaningful effort to support mission-related organizations by volunteering in local community events.
- Act as an ambassador for the firm and its portfolio companies and represent their respective interests at tech and investment conferences, industry events, and in the press.
We value grit, tenacity, technical and analytical horsepower, integrity, and candidates that can demonstrate a clear pattern of personal growth in their career and personal choices. What you have accomplished in the world of startups and technology and the path you traveled to get there matters more than a degree or work experience in a particular role or with specific employers.
- Strong, attributable investment track record of venture investing, either at an established venture capital firm or as an angel investor, with realized exits.
- Technical educational and business background and knowledge of the tech sector, especially startups, including products, trends, investors, and sophisticated and thoughtful understanding of the ecosystem.
- Exceptional analytical ability. Candidates must be able to analyze data effectively, interpret results, and extract data-driven insights.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, including strong judgment about people.
- Evidence that the candidate can listen, understand and communicate effectively in a wide variety of contexts and with a wide variety of people.
- Evidence of the candidate’s passion about helping entrepreneurs succeed.
- Evidence of the candidate’s ability to add value to a startup across a broad variety of contexts, not simply at the time of investment.
- Evidence that the candidate possesses a well-developed ecosystem of established relationships with other venture investors and entrepreneurs with whom the candidate can source and develop deal flow for the firm.
- Experience working with diverse and often demanding personalities.
- Evidence that the candidate can thrive in a fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment and can be accretive to the team and the Firm’s mission on day one.
- A demonstrated aptitude for making successful, well-reasoned and well-diligenced investment decisions.
Nice to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- Prior experience sitting on Boards of Directors at emerging growth companies.
- An MBA but not essential.
- Familiarity with the Boston VC eco system
- Programming experience
- You will have ownership of your projects and be expected to manage these projects from start to finish.
- Interact with top VCs, entrepreneurs, and the media.
- Interact with major institutional investors, government agencies, sovereign wealth funds and diplomats.
- Learn about all facets of technology, consumer finance, business services, and the other industries in which we invest.
We offer competitive compensation and health benefits package.