Variant recently closed our third institutional, first-check crypto fund investing in the user-owned web. We are scaling our investment team to keep pace with rapid growth in the space.
Variant is a startup, and we are looking for a tenacious, low-ego, empathetic partner who is willing to roll up their sleeves to grow in the role and help grow the firm. You’ll gain a unique experience working closely with the General Partners, Jesse, Li, Spencer and growing investment team—in order to help cement our position as the marquee seed fund for supporting builders in crypto at the earliest possible stages.
What is the Infrastructure Investment Partner at Variant Fund?
As a member of the investment team, you’ll work closely with GPs and IPs to analyze investment opportunities, with a focus on the lower level infrastructure that powers new applications being built in web3 (e.g. novel consensus mechanisms, runtimes, interoperability protocols, etc.). Your role will support the entire investment process: sourcing, diligence, thesis development, and portfolio support. The candidate should be excited to do deep and creative analysis of projects and categories at the bleeding edge of crypto. To succeed in this role, the candidate must be an independent self-starter, able to context-switch effectively, have extreme attention to detail, and most importantly, be a first principles thinker who can communicate their ideas concisely in writing and in small group settings.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Interfacing with some of crypto’s most knowledgeable founders, builders, researchers, and independent analysts
- Conducting deep technical diligence on new investment opportunities.
- Developing an authoritative point of view on individual projects and the categories of web3 infrastructure that they are building within, resulting in meaningful contributions to our theses on the characteristics of a desirable investment.
- Presenting analysis to the investment team in verbal and written research reports and investment recommendations.
- Sourcing new investment opportunities by meeting entrepreneurs through involvement in the crypto community, cultivating a network of researchers, builders and other investors.
- Leverage expertise to help builders in our portfolio post-investment.
Qualifications (Need to Have)
- Deep intellectual curiosity: you are eager and able to learn new concepts and frameworks and keep on top of a rapidly-evolving space.
- Ability to quickly synthesize disparate sources of deeply technical information and form a point of view, then communicate it concisely both in writing and in meetings.
- Confidence to push our team’s thinking and deliver compelling arguments.
- Be a detail-oriented self-starter, with strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to switch contexts gracefully.
- Ability to operate independently at a high level with limited oversight.
- High-energy, high-integrity, with demonstrated history of being an ‘owner’
- High EQ and ability to build and cultivate a network of long-term relationships.
Additional Qualifications (Nice to Have)
- 5+ years of experience in an applied CS role, focused on relevant “hard tech” disciplines such as cryptography or distributed systems.
- A native understanding or deep curiosity for web3
About Variant Fund
Variant is a seed-stage fund investing in web3. We are remote-first and welcome candidates distributed in the U.S. We provide competitive salaries and benefits including:
- Premium health/dental coverage
- Generous PTO
- Opportunity to grow alongside a leading firm in a fast-growing market
- Energetic, kind and mission driven co-workers.