Partner 20, Business Development, Consumer
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Instacart, Hipcamp, Overtime, Pinterest, Shef, Sleeper, Snackpass, Substack, and Whatnot. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
The Go-To-Market team accelerates time-to-market and growth of the a16z portfolio. We take a uniquely long-term view towards working with our founders and companies, while relentlessly focusing on the impact we can deliver. A critical aspect of the Go-To-Market team’s focus is working with large platforms, which include App Stores (e.g. App Store, Google Play), Payment Processors (e.g. Stripe, PayPal), Ad Platforms (Google, Meta, Tiktok, iAds, ) and Social Networks (e.g. Meta YouTube, Twitter, TikTok). These platforms are some of our most important strategic partners, as they provide key services that enable our portfolio companies to operate and grow their businesses.
You will lead our efforts with Advertising Platforms & Social Network Platforms, and help portfolio companies work with Meta, Google, TikTok, Apple Twitter, and LinkedIn. Your role will focus on 3 pillars:
- Build and maintain long term relationships with executives and functional leaders across relevant business units within your focus area.
- Build bespoke value-add programs that align incentives between a16z and platform partners to benefit our portfolio.
- Serve as a domain expert, providing strategic counsel and guidance to our portfolio companies via 1:1 advisory sessions, content creation, and workshops.
Successful candidates will be expert relationship builders – dynamic, empathetic, with strong executive presence – with a structured and process-oriented approach to their work.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Eschew ego at every turn because we win by making others successful.
- Design and execute the end-to-end process for mapping all relevant Advertising & Social Network relationships.
- Navigate partner organizations effectively and identify net-new contacts, and bring them into our network.
- Leverage the firm’s resources & expertise to build long-term relationships. Collaborate cross-functionally with operating and investment teams to identify opportunities to offer differentiated value to our partners.
- Be a team player and collaborate to design and build scalable programs that bring benefits like discounted pricing, enhanced support, and advanced account management resources to large segments of the a16z portfolio.
- Teach portfolio companies how to effectively partner with the strategic platforms via 1:1 advisory sessions and targeted workshops.
- Create content and playbooks that centralize best practices and extend key learnings to the entire portfolio.
- Stay up to date on key developments at partner companies, including new products, services, and policy updates. Proactively communicate with the portfolio when developments may affect their business and help companies navigate changing platform landscapes effectively.
- Swiftly help portfolio companies troubleshoot and resolve critical problems that negatively affect their business (e.g. policy violations, account suspensions, and bugs).
- Have Intellectual curiosity about tech and the future, and the willingness to closely follow developments.
- 6-8+ years of experience in Account Management, Consulting, Sales, BD, and/or Partnerships at a startup or large tech company with a focus on Advertising. A combination of client and platform experience is preferred.
- Deep understanding of how startups engage Ad Products and Social Media
- Outstanding interpersonal skills. You have a demonstrated ability to quickly build rapport and trust with others, develop high quality relationships from scratch, and maintain a low-latency network over a long period of time.
- Track record of successful partnerships with large companies. You have a deep understanding of how to structure, sell, execute, and grow long-term strategic partnerships.
- Established network of contacts at at least one major Advertising Platform or Social Network (Google, Meta, TikTok preferred)
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to stay organized, take a process-oriented approach to execution.
- Optimistic, empathetic, self-motivated, and collaborative with a team-first mentality
- Intellectual curiosity about tech and the future, and the willingness to closely follow developments.
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $244,000-$285,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z Carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.