We are Alloy Therapeutics—a biotechnology ecosystem company empowering the global scientific community to make better medicines together. Through a community of partners, we democratize access to pre-competitive tools, technologies, services, and company creation capabilities that are foundational for discovering and developing therapeutic biologics. The company facilitates affordable, non-exclusive access to the entire drug discovery community from academic scientists, small and medium biotech, to the largest biopharma. At Alloy, we believe our industry should compete on getting the best drugs to patients as quickly as possible, not exclusive access to the best platforms. As a reflection of our relentless commitment to the scientific community, we reinvest 100% of its revenue in innovation and access to innovation. MAY THE BEST DRUG WIN.
Alloy is headquartered in Waltham, MA with additional labs in Cambridge, UK; Basel, CH; San Francisco, CA; and Athens, GA. Successful members thrive in our shared culture of accountability, deliberate trust, and open communication. As a team we aspire to work together to exceed expectations and collectively contribute across the global organization to always maintain our nimble, startup culture. Come thrive at Alloy!
82VS was launched in 2020 to allow company builders to efficiently launch new asset-centric companies leveraging Alloy’s platforms, services, and company creation infrastructure. To date 82VS has founded nine asset-focused companies developing new medicines across the areas of oncology, immunology, ophthalmology, neurology, and rare diseases. Our current companies are developing antibody, antisense oligonucleotide, and TCR mimic therapeutics, but we are also working actively to build out multimodal therapeutics and expand our delivery capabilities (e.g., LNPs, peptides).
We are a venture studio leveraging Alloy’s pre-competitive drug discovery platforms. Established drug discovery, scientific, and lab resources allow entrepreneurs to start their first experiment on day one.
We partner with academics, entrepreneurs, target-rich companies, pharma, and VC. We lead with our drug discovery work, helping others advance targets of interest.
We build asset-focused companies while continuing to incorporate new modalities and drug discovery platforms accessible throughout the Alloy ecosystem. Alloy creates new platforms and services on demand to support individual new companies if needed.
We industrialize repeatable company launch processes across legal, HR, finance, operations, and marketing to minimize startup time and allow scientists to focus on the science.
As a Venture Partner, you will be provided with agency to work and collaborate across scientific, operational, and business areas to build new biotech companies from idea to Series A. You will work daily with Founders, VCs, and biopharma collaborators to build ideas into companies, and also have space to explore your own ideas. This role requires a philosophical belief that out collaborating is better than out competing in the development of medicine.
This role will report to the Executive Partner leading the Venture Team with autonomy owning various stakeholders, projects, and initiatives in a dynamic start-up environment while keeping up the pace of 82VS. This is you!
How You’ll Drive Impact
- Diligence: cultivate a diverse array of opportunities for company creation brought to the Venture Studio from trusted colleagues and your network with the goal to determine the best science and teams to build successful companies within the Alloy ecosystem
- Build: create the most efficient biotech companies in a venture studio model that provides support like early validating experimentation, lead discovery, lead optimization, incorporation, accounting, People (HR), IT, target prioritization, IND-enabling studies, fundraising strategy and access to capital which enables our entrepreneurs to achieve financial independence in 18-24 months
- Negotiate: broker with potential partners and entrepreneurs to ensure fair and equitable relationships with our partners; strong fences build strong neighbors, which start with term sheets and sharing the common goal of making medicine together
- Mentor: invest in great scientists that are looking to be great team members, great entrepreneurs and the next generation of venture company builders; 82VS enables these individuals to achieve all that they can by providing a patient ear and experienced guidance to ensure success
- Transact: lead portfolio companies to Series A rounds and high value transactions with pharmaceutical/biotech partners to accelerate the discovery and development of the programs and medicines that we build by ensuring the narrative, data, markets and data rooms are ready for our entrepreneur’s companies, supporting them through the process from the science bench to the company board–success for a Venture Partner is seeing each of their companies achieve a Series A financing led by a world-class venture capital firm alongside them
Why We Value You
- You have deep scientific and company building experience; your experience adds to the collective Alloy and 82VS team knowledge and perspective
- You are interested and devoted to making medicine more available, not because you have to, but because you want to
- You understand and value being able to independently access and build biotech companies in a supportive environment
- You are comfortable learning about new areas of knowledge with which you have limited familiarity, and if you don’t, work your network to better understand
- You can balance what good academic science looks like, but understand that a team is equally important to building investable biotech companies
- You have strong communication skills including verbal, written, and slidecraft
- You have demonstrated an incredible work ethic, strong time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- You are comfortable identifying, proposing, structuring, and advancing projects independently and understand that others may disagree
- You thrive as a member of a team, collaborating with others, and helping others with challenges they face
- You are generous when others are needy, greedy, or fearful
- PhD, MD, or Masters with 2+ research experience required in the fields of biomedical research, drug discovery or similar
- 5+ years in early stage biotech startups (i.e. company with less than 10 people) and/or biotech VC with experience in early stage company building
- Ability to work across various US and international time zones
- Accommodate occasional travel as needed (20%)
Taking Care of Our People
We support the individuality of what people need to do outside of work to empower them to do their best at work. While you focus on making better medicine together, we focus on programs and benefits that support a diverse and growing team. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Alloy offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits starting from day one.
- Competitive base and equity compensation
- 401(k) company match and financial planning
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) and flexible schedules
Health & Family
- Generous personal and family medical, dental and vision benefits with 90% of premiums and deductibles covered
- Company-paid disability (STD, LTD) and life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Family planning support up to $50,000 (e.g. IVF/PGT, adoption, surrogacy, egg retrieval)
- Flexible work schedule built around our team-driven philosophy
- Annual stipend for continuing education with commitment to your career through individualized professional development plan
- Extensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP) including resources for mental wellness
- International travel insurance
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Here at Alloy, we democratize capabilities for discovering and developing therapeutic biologics. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel Alloy is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.