Samsung Research America
Title: Investment Manager, Corporate Venture Investments
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Samsung Ventures America (SVA)
Location: Boston, MA
Samsung Venture Investment Corporation (SVIC), headquartered in Seoul, Korea, is the corporate VC arm of the Samsung Group and Samsung Ventures America (SVA) operates as the US office (Mountain View, CA, and Boston, MA) for SVIC. The primary responsibilities of SVA are to source, qualify, and invest in technology-related companies that are strategic to Samsung-affiliated companies and their business units. SVIC’s primary investment areas include semiconductors, materials, mobile service and software, cyber security, enterprise SW, Fintech / Insuretech, ESG, and Life Science with a current valuation over $2.8B AUM.
SVA has an immediate opening for an Investment Manager with primary responsibilities to source start-up companies, conduct due diligence, and develop investment thesis in investment areas, including but not limited to: AI, Cyber Security, Blockchain, Healthtech, Digital Infrastructure, and Mediatech. In this role, you will also conduct market research and plan and engage with start-up companies to learn new technologies. This position will be based in our Boston SVA office.
- Top tier undergraduate degree in a quantitative field – a Master’s Degree is a plus, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 5+ years of aligned professional experience in consulting, banking, or engineering
- Proficiency at sourcing, identifying, and triaging new partnering and investment opportunities
- Ability to lead research and new market analysis of technologies and competitive landscapes in AI, Cyber Security, Block-chain, Healthtech, Digital Infrastructure, and Mediatech
- Understanding of current and emerging issues impacting strategic transactions
- Ability to articulate a strong understanding of industry dynamics and comprehensively translate the strategic
investment benefits, financial analysis, investment terms, and other relevant information into presentations
- Proficient and familiar with using research platforms such as CB Insights, Pitchbook, and etc. handling and processing a large amount of data
- Clear strategic thinker with strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Driven, self-starter with the ability to work both independently and in a team setting while possessing interpersonal skills to establish, maintain and expand the SVA network
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation and persuasion skills
- Identify early to late-stage companies and technologies of interest to Samsung
- Involvement in all aspects of due diligence contribution and process on new investment across Business Analysis, Industry Thesis, Competitive Landscape, Business/Pricing Model, and Financial Modeling/Deal Structuring
- Source, Qualify, Analyze, Manage and Tracking new investment opportunities
- Maintain good teamwork with investment managers in HQ by actively communicating and collaborating
- Liaise between HQ, business units and investment candidate/portfolio companies
- Manage and engage portfolio companies and run risk management reviews
- Initiate special projects and conduct “deep dive” research leveraging different platforms (i.e. Pitchbook, CB Insights, Acuity, AlphaSense, Tegus and etc.)
- Be a brand ambassador, enhancing SVA’s visibility and reputation through networking with start-up companies and VC/CVC
- Communicate broadly to the SVA ecosystem and articulate where SVA adds value
- Attend conferences, networking events, meet with companies to find emerging areas technology and introduce to SVA and HQ investment managers
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $121,200 and $166,550, but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below