AirTree is looking to add an Investment Manager to our team!
AirTree is a venture capital firm with a mission to back the most ambitious Australian and Kiwi founders who are building the iconic technology companies of tomorrow, right from the start. As one of the largest and most active funds in Australia and New Zealand, you’ll be working with 80+ of the most exciting startups in our region, including Canva, Linktree, Who Gives a Crap, Employment Hero, Go1, Brighte, Eucalyptus, Immutable and Mr Yum.
In early 2022, we announced a new $700m fund with $250m dedicated to investing in early stage companies.
We’re a down-to-earth team from diverse backgrounds but with the same passion: startups and technology. We’ve written a lot about what we do at AirTree, check out our blog and our team bios on our website.
We are committed to building a world-class VC platform for Australia and New Zealand startups with global ambitions. This is an opportunity to help shape AirTree and make an impact on our region’s tech ecosystem.
About the role:
This role is crucial to AirTree’s success and we’re looking for a critical thinker with a passion for technology. You will bring a combination of empathy, curiosity and intellect to support the team to make better investment decisions and to help the lead investors support our founders more effectively. You will report directly to the Partners and become a key part of our investment team with a focus on Fund Strategy. This is a full time, permanent role.
What you’ll do:
- Investment support and execution: supporting the process for follow-on investments and growth stage deals. This includes assisting with the due diligence phase – from competitor and market analysis, to financial analysis and modelling.
- Portfolio analysis: helping us monitor and deepen our understanding of the performance of our existing portfolio with a view to honing our follow-on investments and supporting AirTree leads/board members to be valuable thought partners for our founders and CEOs.
- This will include reviewing traditional financial data as well as operational metrics which indicate product health or might be a signal for future revenue potential.
- You will also help drive our thinking on metrics and benchmarking across a range of technology sectors, helping identify what best-in-class looks like and leveraging this analysis to make informed investment decisions.
- Valuations: helping drive our thinking on valuation methodology and owning the valuation review process.
You won’t be expected to source new investments, take first meetings with companies or travel extensively.
The person we’re looking for:
Your most important attribute is your passion for technology and startups. For the right candidate, we will be flexible on background, but would particularly love to meet you if you have 1-3 years’ experience and have worked in any of these environments:
- Another investment group, preferably focused on the technology sector.
- An advisory business such as an investment bank or consulting firm, with a focus on the technology sector.
- A startup or technology business. If you’ve been involved in finance or product management, all the better.
Perhaps more importantly, you:
- Are curious, and obsessed with technology companies (in fact you might be weird like us and like to talk about them for fun).
- Are self-directed and flexible. You’re comfortable working in a fast paced environment with changing priorities.
- Are a systems thinker. You relish organising chaos and implementing frameworks and systems that make us better investors.
Location, Flexibility & Support
- AirTree’s headquarter is based in Sydney, but our team enjoys a flexible (WFH days), supportive and family-friendly work environment.
We also offer:
- 5 weeks of leave: 4 weeks annual leave plus 1 bonus week of lifestyle and well-being leave.
- An annual budget for your training & self-development.
- A range of health and wellness benefits including EAP, mental health first aid training, skin checks, flu vaccines and more.
We celebrate and value diversity and are committed to being equitable and inclusive in the way we hire and work together.
Therefore, we strongly encourage you to apply even if you are not sure you fit all of the criteria we’ve mentioned above. All of our roles involve a range of skill sets and we recognise that everyone has different strengths and experiences that can add value to our team.
How to Apply
Please apply via the Workable link with your CV and responses to three screening questions by 9 August 2023.
From the initial submissions we’ll select a small group of candidates for an interview and a short take-home case study. Finalists from that group will be invited for in-person interviews with our team to talk through the case study. We hope to finish the process by mid September 2023 and have you working with us as soon as possible after that.
We can’t wait to meet you!