Primary Venture Partners
We are searching for a Market Development Manager to join Primary’s Impact team and scale the firm’s growing network of external industry executives. This position will report to the VP, People and Networks (working in close partnership with Primary’s go-to-market and investment teams) and will be responsible for building and nurturing relationships with executives across a variety of industries in Primary’s specialization areas, including healthcare, financial services and general industrials.
This role requires exceptional executive presence and communication skills. Candidates must have a track record of both establishing and maintaining relationships with senior leaders as well as with presenting to executive audiences. This is a unique cross-functional role that will collaborate closely with Primary’s investment team and our portfolio companies, but please note this is NOT an investment team position working on new investment opportunities.
The ideal candidate is a self-starting strategic thinker who values spending most of their days talking to new people, and should have an impressive track record of leading complex projects from idea to execution as well as continuously finding ways to optimize their workflows.
You are an ideal candidate if:
- You are available to work full-time in NYC
- You have 5+ years of working in a client-facing environment within—but not limited to—consulting, investment banking, VC/PE, or a strategic GTM role (BD, Partnerships, Product Marketing) in a high-growth environment. Candidates with experience working with tech-enabled services (e.g. AI/ML, SaaS) will be given strong preference
- You are a clear communicator with proven client-facing experience and are comfortable being measured on your ability to build trust with Fortune 1000 executives
- You are comfortable working autonomously and independently. You like “figuring things out” and intuitively know how to add value without being instructed on how to do so
- You are naturally curious and love learning. You ask the right questions and do the right work to ensure you can quickly and creatively get up to speed on a topic you’re unfamiliar with; this work doesn’t scare you, it excites you!
- You like taking abstract concepts and ideas and building them into systems and programs that work and drive real value to stakeholders
- You have experience building programs and are a systems thinker
- No task is too small for you. You’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves to send out prospecting emails, take and document notes, and help out where needed across the firm; you’re scrappy and known to identify efficiency opportunities in work streams.
- You are genuinely passionate and articulate about startup/tech trends
- You have the ability to build conviction and voice your opinion even when others on the team may disagree with you
More about this role
- Research and map out the verticals in the firm’s specialization area, run outbound campaigns, and connect with the industry leaders
- Conduct customer discovery calls to learn about executives challenges, focuses, and key areas they investing in innovation
- Identify potential customers, D&D partnerships for relevant portfolio businesses, and make those connections, continue to optimize this process at scale
- Synthesize insights from discovery calls and deliver recommendations internally, (investment team and networks team) to inform the program strategy, market diligence and valuable customer research to the portfolio
- Support the build of these programs – cohorted educational programs, industry events, industry reports, network engagements
- Lead the build and optimize the back-end system for outbound messaging across the firm
- Develop program goals, and build the system for tracking the value of this program across the firm and the broader portfolio
$120,000 – $150,000 a year
Compensation is market-competitive with an annual base salary and will include upside in our funds.