Orion Resource Partners
Orion Resource Partners (“Orion”) is a global alternative investment management firm with approximately $8.0 billion under management, specializing in acquiring, developing and monetizing assets in base and precious metals and minerals, many of which are leveraged to the global push to decarbonize.
Recognizing the generational investment opportunity for mining and other heavy industries to enable global decarbonization, Orion’s platform, Orion Industrial Ventures (“OIV”), will invest in and scale emerging technology companies to provide the minerals and materials and other industrial solutions required for sustainable global growth. We are looking for creative thinkers and astute investors seeking to make a difference by bringing change to a historically technophobic part of the economy and, in doing so, enable global decarbonization.
role & responsibilities
- A key member of the OIV deal team, with broad responsibilities across investment and operational matters;
- Leading due diligence on new opportunities, which includes market and techno-economic analysis, commercial due diligence, data room review, customer, supplier and co-investor reference calls and other activities required to support investment decisions;
- Provide support to the investment process, including preparation of presentations and memos to OIV’s investment committee, management committee, limited partners, and portfolio companies;
- Working with portfolio companies through shareholder and Board engagement and monitoring performance to ensure portfolio companies receive all required support to scale their businesses and that OIV’s financial return and strategic objectives are achieved;
- Modeling valuations and portfolio company performance against key metrics, supporting the development of strong exits for our portfolio companies;
- Market and technology research to (i) identify attractive emerging investment thematics and (ii) assess applicable technologies for potential investment, including engaging with your existing network of leading experts, investors and companies in relevant fields to inform your analysis;
- Representing OIV at key ecosystem events, including industry conferences, academic events, accelerator pitch nights and other opportunities to help build OIV’s market presence and foster relationships with companies, investors, academic groups, and accelerators to advance OIV deal flow and reputation. Note, significant travel may be required;
- Maintaining OIV key databases, including our investment pipeline, key investor and ecosystem relationships;
- Reviewing current sector, regulatory and investment news flow and preparing relevant summaries;
- Contributing to the development and growth of the OIV team and enhancing the culture, improving the firm’s effectiveness in all areas, and attracting new diverse talent; and
- The position will report to the Partners of OIV.
qualiﬁcations and attributes
- A deep passion for our sector and the significance of the opportunity it presents;
- A strong technical background and hunger to strengthen business/financial skillset;
- Degrees in relevant disciplines, including chemistry, physics, environmental science and/or business/finance;
- Experience or familiar with leading, due diligence exercises on prospective investments, ideally in the venture capital and ideally in our sector;
- Deep technical understanding of several sub-sectors within the industrial and technology spaces and having shown an ability to identify key technical challenges and opportunities with new technologies;
- Drive to build on your existing network in energy, climate tech, academia, and/or venture capital space;
- Exceptional judgment, ability to communicate complex concepts to a layperson, and attention to detail is critical;
- Ideally possesses financial analysis skills, able to understand financial statements and a financial model;
- Collaborative, reliable, proactive teammate with high emotional intelligence;
- High integrity with a strong reputation as an honest, transparent, diligent, and trustworthy person; and
- A driven professional who is at an early stage in their career and has the hunger and entrepreneurial flare to join us in building a OIV into an investment platform capable of delivering the industrial giants of the decades ahead.
Should it be of interest, we would be delighted to review your application. Please send your CV and any other details you believe are relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for this role will be open until March 15, 2023.