Role: Full-Time Investment Professional
You are both experienced in and excited to continue building your expertise in the future of the financial system, particularly when it comes to banks and fintechs. You have analyzed deeply and ideally made investments in this area, and maybe even worked in a bank or fintech or both. You understand the difference between a fintech that is disruptive to existing financial institutions, and ones that are enabling the existing institutions to transform and persist.
About BankTech Ventures
BankTech Ventures (BTV) is a recently launched strategic investment fund for the future of banking and is comprised of over 100 community banks as the limited partners in the fund. The BTV team identifies, evaluates, de-risks and invests in the best technology companies to enable banks to digitally transform and thrive in the coming decade. Our first fund closed in August with just over $116M committed, and we’ve made 8 investments so far, with 25-30 planned for this fund. Our average investment so far has been between $2-3M, and ranged from leading, co-leading and participating in rounds, with tremendous flexibility in our investment stages and structures.
We’re looking for an experienced investment professional to join our growing team.
- Source world-class founders from idea to Series B stage, working on highly relevant solutions for banks.
- Create clear investment cases and investment memos for the fund, projected investment returns, as well as business cases for individual banks to benefit from working with the companies.
- Lead due diligence across valuation, business analysis, financial models, market research and other areas appropriate to the stage and maturity of the company.
- Determine any key gaps in a company as well as primary risks from investing in them and/or their work with community banks.
- Identify what relevant competitors exist, as well as why a company stands out amongst them in our BTV context.
- Develop an initial BTV post-investment plan for maximizing activation of the company across our ecosystem for each investment and maintain relationships with the companies.
- Be creative in developing alternative investment and partnership opportunities with startups and others in fintech and banking.
- Identify and build relationships with key referral partners across the financial, technology and support ecosystems, as well as co-investors and potential collaborators.
- Cultivate your unique, authentic reputation in the marketplace, while also aligning with BTV’s core values and ecosystem partners.
Preferred Background & Experiences
- Bachelor’s Degree required, or equivalent combination of education and related experience. Advanced degrees welcomed and valued.
- 4-6 years of finance/investment focused experience (VC/PE/Buyside) with banking and/or fintech experience strongly preferred
- Strong Excel modeling and finance/investment experience to both develop investment models and critique company-provided ones
- Have led private investment from sourcing to closing
- Understanding of venture scale dynamics and business models
- Experience with term sheets and deal documents
- Attention to details in due diligence and risk management
- Natural relationship building capabilities across founders, collaborators and bank executives
- Natural instincts for knowing your audience and explaining technical and innovation value at relevant, relative levels.
- Clear and comfortable communicator across channels from presentations to writing and public speaking
- Curiosity in broader financial services and fintech areas and desire to build continued expertise in it as well as translation to community bank contexts
- Enjoyment for creative problem solving and high engagement discussion, debate and collaboration
- Mission and purpose-led to serve both founders and our strategic investors and see both groups succeed by working more closely together
- Competitive base salary, commensurate with experience
- Target bonus at 20%+ of annual salary
- Benefits: Fully covered health/dental/vision, HSA contribution, 401K w/match, gym stipend
- Potential to earn carried interest in the fund
To apply, please submit any investment experience, cover letter and resume to:
Carey Ransom, Managing Director
BankTech Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer