Upper90 is a leading hybrid fund that invests debt and equity in early stage fintech, ecommerce, B2B SaaS, and supply chain businesses. Founded in 2018 by executives from Seamless-GrubHub and Goldman Sachs, the firm is backed by a LP base of over 300 business builders. The firm has grown AUM to $1B and has also originated over $1B of additional credit and equity investments to LPs through SPVs and direct opportunities. The fund supports rapidly-growing businesses with predictable revenue models to help accelerate growth, like Thrasio, Clearco, Crusoe, Clutch, Settle, and Octane, each of which secured an initial credit facility from Upper90.
Upper90 is seeking an MBA Summer Associate that will perform primary and secondary research to sharpen perspectives on emerging industries, trends, and investment opportunities. The Summer Associate will be expected to connect with industry experts and other investors to produce qualitative and quantitative insights that inform investment decisions.
This is a paid internship that will be primarily remote but may involve some time in the New York City office. For the right candidate, it could lead to a full-time position after graduation.
- Collaborate with the Investment Team to evaluate market trends and help to develop perspectives on emerging investment themes (e.g., industry market landscapes)
- Assess the investment landscape for FinTech and eCommerce. This includes determining the performance parameters for products addressing the sector, market size, technology trends, business model innovation, competitive landscape, and investment opportunities
- Connect with experts who can offer deep insights into rapidly evolving industries across public and private markets
- Select and analyze 1-2 key focus areas for investment and complete an in depth, analytical report on the industry
Portfolio Company Support
- Develop resources to support strategic initiatives of our portfolio companies in areas such as financial planning, customer and advisor introductions, product road mapping, competitive intelligence, and helping with follow on financings
- Work alongside the Upper90 platform team to build out and improve the ways in which we support our current and future portfolio companies
- Improve our founder community by documenting and tracking the interests and expertise of our members
- Facilitate relevant introductions to our limited partners through coordination with the Investor Relations team
Sourcing and Pipeline Management
- Review materials and prepare for meetings with new founders
- Participate in intro calls for new deals and prepare deal summaries to help manage the pipeline
- Support the investment team in research, diligence, and tracking of new investment opportunities
Skills and Qualifications
- Current enrollment in a top-tier MBA program with a focus on investment research
- Ideal background in investing, consulting, banking or operating at an early stage company
- High degree of self-motivation and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to synthesize information into clear, digestible formats
- Proficient to advanced skills with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Curious and intellectually honest with strong commercial instinct and demonstrated interest in equity markets