About the job
- Want to join a dynamic and global team investing in innovative fintech entrepreneurs across emerging markets? Quona Capital, a leading venture capital firm dedicated to fueling global fintech, is hiring an Investment Associate to join its Africa investment team for the summer.
- This Summer Associate will work directly with Quona’s Africa investment team on various aspects of the investment portfolio management processes, with exposure to high-energy entrepreneurial and VC ecosystems in Africa and beyond.
- Quona’s investments in Africa include iconic fintech and embedded finance startups such as Wasoko, Yoco, Khazna, and Cowrywise.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about our mission, about the opportunity for financial technology and digitization to reshape financial services in emerging markets, and about engaging with Africa’s most dynamic and promising companies. Given the lean structure and fast-paced environment, the candidate should be able to take initiative and is expected to be independent and resourceful.
- This job will be located in Washington, DC
- Position duration: 06/2023 – 08/2023 (3 months) – with the possibility to split time between offices and markets.
Work in close coordination with the team in supporting core investment activities:
- Conduct market scoping, sector mapping, company deep dives and/or competitive analysis within key fintech verticals and target geographies
- Portfolio management including analysis of portfolio performance, periodic reporting to investors, and development of LP-facing collateral
- Support to portfolio companies, including Quona-wide value-add initiatives and investment preparation and exit readiness (developing teasers/pitch materials, scoping out potential acquirers/downstream capital providers, evaluating M&A opportunities, etc)
- Sourcing and analysis of investment opportunities through engagement with the startup and fintech ecosystems; interviewing the teams, partners, and clients of pipeline companies; building investment theses; conducting strategic and financial analyses; and assisting with pipeline management
About Quona Capital
- Quona Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to fueling global fintech that advances financial inclusion. We invest in early stage financial technology companies and embedded finance opportunities across Latin America, South and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and MENA. The firm was formed with a simple idea: technology has the power to radically improve the quality, access and affordability of financial services for underserved consumers and businesses. Thus, the firm invests in disruptive innovations to create a more financially inclusive world.
- Quona was established in 2015 and today operates with over USD 745 million in AUM and 60+ investments. Our investments in Africa include Wasoko, Yoco, Khazna, Cowrywise, Sava, Orda and Power.
- To learn more, check out our portfolio companies and meet the team at http://www.quona.com.
- Currently enrolled in a top tier MBA or similar advanced degree program
- Relevant experience in technology, operations, strategy, or product at a fintech company or venture-backed startup; and/or in consulting, principal investing, investment banking, or a related field, preferably focused on financial services or technology
- Enthusiasm for technology, entrepreneurship, and financial inclusion
- Excellent English business writing and communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently in a fast-paced team that is geographically dispersed
- Strong modeling and analytical skills, as well as attention to detail
- Candidates of all backgrounds, including those belonging to underrepresented minorities, are strongly encouraged to apply
Competitive salary and benefits…plus people who are fun to work with!
- Name, email, resume, and cover letter
- Additional: Submit a one-page analysis of any startup, sub-sector, or trend within the fintech ecosystem in Africa.