At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
Job Description Summary:
PayPal Ventures is the VC arm of PayPal. We are seeking a summer intern to work with our Investing and Operating team, across our main fund and our Economic Opportunity Fund. For decades, the venture capital industry has been plagued with “inner circle” dynamics that have made it difficult for underrepresented minority (URM) groups to break into the industry. These compounding challenges have resulted in few Black, Latinx, and Indigenous investors in both junior and senior positions in venture capital. At PayPal Ventures, we strive to foster a more equitable venture capital industry, and help open doors and act as a lighthouse for underestimated talent with high-potential. We are excited to announce our Economic Opportunity Fund Internship, a 3-month internship program where our team will coach, train, and mentor aspiring URM venture capital investors.
For the duration of the Economic Opportunity Fund Internship, we will work closely with each intern on crafting an industry thesis on a sub-vertical within fintech or commerce.
The industry thesis will include a deep dive on industry trends, development of a thesis on why (or why not) the industry is interesting for venture capital investment, articulation of interesting startups in the space, and a clearly-defined summary of the research findings and recommendation on suggested next steps. Along with the industry thesis project, we will work with each intern to broaden their network by setting up individual conversations with senior leaders at PayPal and across the venture capital industry. Through this internship, we seek to help our interns develop their “why VC? Story,” generate tangible industry experience, expand their network of VC professionals, and create a pathway for full-time opportunities in venture capital.
Job Description: The Economic Opportunity Intern will report to the Operating Partner of PayPal Ventures. This is an exciting opportunity to learn about corporate Venture Capital within a successful and very active team.
Key responsibilities of the intern will be:
- Support the investing team in sourcing deals
- Partner with an investor to create materials and present on potential investment opportunities
- Develop thematic research on a topic of interest
- Support Operating Team across several key areas. Projects may include developing sensing material and executive reporting, creating marketing collateral, and supporting portfolio development
- Support our Economic Opportunity Fund, by engaging with existing fund investments, identifying potential areas for co-investment, enhancing performance reporting, and supporting annual survey administration & analysis
At PayPal, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don’t hesitate to apply.We are looking for highly-motivated individuals with a clear desire to break into the venture capital industry. Applicants should identify as Black, Latinx, or a member of an Indigenous group and must be enrolled in a 2+ year full-time graduate program (preferably MBA). The internship will be fully remote, and we will not require relocation for this role.
- Currently working towards an MBA degree program or related majors
- 2+ years of investment banking, venture capital / private equity, consulting or product management experience preferred
- 2 or more years of working at a tech company in a PAM type role with a good sense of tech knowledge preferred
- Strong analytical skills, fluency in performing rigorous financial, valuation and broad quantitative analyses and familiarity with accounting and key operational metrics
- Adept with technology and a strategic thinker and recognizes what is best for the business
- Excellent judgment, mature personality, experience working with executives and a sophisticated and well-connected, worldly businessperson
- Excited about the future of technology, financial services and commerce enablement
- A Team player who is pro-active, assertive, action oriented, anticipates needs, and is highly accountable
Internship Program Information and Requirements:
- This is a Summer 2023 Internship program. Spring and Fall 2023 internships are not available.
- Must currently be pursuing an MBA from an accredited college or university.
- Must be returning to school in the Fall of 2023.
- Must reside in the U.S. during the Summer internship program.
- Must be able to obtain authorization to work in the U.S. for the summer.