Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
Newlab is seeking an extern to lay the foundation for a new investment fund that will invest in pioneering companies to decarbonize the economy. Focus areas will include mobility, energy transition, industry and materials, and the intersection of climate and financial services..
- Passionate about the need to decarbonize the economy and strongly believe that technological innovation is an essential part of that puzzle
- Creative and enjoy the process of bringing a new organization to life
- Exceptional at designing clear and scalable processes and executing on them
- A great writer who easily converts complex ideas into simple prose or presentations
- Collaborate with Newlab leaders on the design and implementation of a new investment fund to support the growth of companies affiliated with Newlab
- Design and manage a project plan – ensuring that deadlines are met, meetings are effective, and frameworks are documented
- Lead engagement with Newlab Product and Business Development leaders on the design of the engagement model between a dedicated investment fund and Newlab Innovation Studios
- Advise on the ideal engagement model for a dedicated investment fund with Newlab Venture Studio
- Create materials to support joint pitch efforts in preparation for fundraise
- Collaborate with colleagues at Newlab to ensure technology platforms (e.g. CRM) are designed and integrated to support the needs of the investment organization
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 2-6 years of experience in management consulting, corporate strategy, or other strategic function
- Exceptional project management skills and experience organizing work across multiple stakeholders
- Experience designing highly effective and scalable processes
- Experienced with all Microsoft Office / G-Suite products
- Ideal candidates will have direct experience with energy, climate tech, and/or hardware companies as well as an understanding of, or an interest in, venture investing
- Ideal candidates will have experience defining requirements for CRMs / enterprise software
- This is a term position with an intended start date in June or early July and expected end-date in December 2022. We will consider qualified candidates available on shorter or longer timelines.
- Exceptional candidates will be considered for a full-time position immediately or beginning in the summer of 2023
- Newlab is based in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in Brooklyn, NY, but remote candidates are also encouraged to apply