X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you – keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: May-June 2023 start date; 12-18 weeks on average (can be extended upon mutual fit and availability)
- Must be enrolled in an MBA program
How you will make 10x impact:
- Decarbonization pathways modeling for key industries for X climate tech projects
- Scenario modeling for different carbon impact pathways and project strategy
- Attribution of impact in alignment with standard carbon accounting
- Aligning commercialization with carbon impact plans
- Lead market sizing, competitive and regulatory analyses, and value chain mapping for projects where markets, competitors, and/or regulations may or may not exist.
- Help identify key risks where projects could fail, and ways to stress-test them as quickly as possible by speaking to potential external partners
- Review economic models in partnership with product managers and Finance.
- Present findings to cross-functional project leadership to guide strategy
- Work cross functionally to de-risk other non-technical aspects of projects, partnering with Business Innovation, Legal, Policy, Privacy, Marketing/PR, Operations, etc.
- Engaging with the Internship community during the program & having fun!
What you should have:
- Current MBA student with a BS/BA in earth/climate science, mathematics, carbon accounting, computer science, public policy/government, impact-focused program or related field
- Collaborative, pro-active team player
- 2+ years of work experience in one or more of the following: climate tech VC, project finance, climate investing, climate grant making, software, manufacturing, management consulting, finance, or venture capital
- Very strong strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into insightful business recommendations.
- Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions. Must be able to break down problems independently
- Can-do attitude, willing to learn new tools and content to become an effective thought partner with project team
- Excellent communication skills i.e experience writing strategy docs, experience delivering presentations, and a general openness to liaise with senior external partners
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with AI & ML
- Experience with climate modeling
- Experience with financial modeling
- An ability to thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering them in a fast-changing environment
- Adept at influencing without authority, working cross-functionally with different teams in order to drive decision making
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen. Excited to go deep and learn about new and experimental technologies.
- Global experience: living or working in countries outside of the U.S. is a plus!
- We value diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives – we recognize that in the field of climate technology, many different approaches are required and this is not a one size fits all role! We welcome people who bring a unique perspective to the table!
The US base salary range for this position is $64,000 – $85,000 + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include benefits.
At X, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.