H/L Ventures helps mission-driven founders build inspiring, valuable companies from inception to exit. We believe that high returns and high impact are directly linked and our diverse group of founders share that ethos. Our powerful venture studio model supports our companies with daily active engagement, expertise, access, and capital throughout their entrepreneurial journey. We are based in New York City and founded in 2009 and have a track record of growing successful start-ups across many industries. We are committed to a culture of integrity, excellence, and hard work.
H/L Ventures works with companies from co-founding onward, using different vehicles. At our H/L studio, we start early, ranging from co-founding to just before a Series A. For companies at Series A and later, the opportunity goes to our CityRock fund, which invests in both our studio companies as they grow and in new companies that we meet at a later stage. Regardless of entry point, we provide holistic, relevant support through every stage of growth.
H/L Ventures seeks to work with enthusiastic, innovative, dedicated, and mature part-time MBA Interns to join our team on the Portfolio Support side. As a portfolio-focused firm, we support our companies across virtually every sector of need, drawing upon our core team’s expertise and activating our expert networks. We have a robust portfolio of companies at various stages (pre-Seed to Series B) spanning such sectors as renewable energy, future of food, future of education, clean water, cybersecurity, sustainable fashion, data fusion, enterprise software, and more; the unifying factor being that all are building at the nexus of impact, diversity, and non-concessionary revenues.
This is a unique opportunity for MBA interns to work alongside the H/L Ventures team across the business and gain insight into the operational side of our businesses. We are looking for someone entrepreneurial who is hungry and looking to support startups. This is a paid internship and an educational program to help MBA students transition into and learn about the startup and venture capital ecosystem.
This MBA Internship is focused on Portfolio Support only (not diligence or sourcing). We are a portfolio-centric firm with a laser focus on helping our companies grow.
You will be conducting project-based value-add work for existing portfolio companies, including:
- Market research;
- Market sizing;
- Competitive landscape analysis;
- Financial modeling
- Please note that H/L maintains virtually daily contact with our portfolio companies, so it is expected that the Intern will be able to dynamically support various portfolio company needs.
The ideal candidates will demonstrate a number of important characteristics, including:
- Trustworthy. Deep sense of integrity and exceptionally good judgment.
- Committed. Passion for positive social impact in a strong innovation sector; devoted to
innovation and entrepreneurship; exhibiting a desire to work hard in a start-up
- Technically-Adept. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Office, Outlook,
PowerPoint, and Excel), other technical and product-related skills beneficial.
- Academically Qualified. Excellent academic performance; MBA Candidate at a
school in proximity to New York City preferred.
- Experienced. Comfort with financial modeling, facility with cap tables and standard
structures, and participation in due diligence processes; strong financial acumen.
- Hard-Working. Possessing a strong work ethic, responsive, and attentive to detail. Stays
until the job is done; capable of reviewing many companies effectively.
- Professional. Exhibit a high degree of professionalism and discretion, including situation appropriate
work and communication style.
- Positive. Helpful can-do attitude as a mature team player; strong ability to build and
curate relationships and trust; do-any-job attitude; comfortable among new groups of
- Proactive. Confident, with the ability to work flexibly and autonomously in an open ended,
self-directed work culture.
- Organized. Advanced organization and multitasking skills, allowing effective prioritization
and meeting deadlines without fail.
- Detailed. Experience researching and writing analytical reports in the tech/finance
space; ability to produce well-designed, professional products in Microsoft Word and
- Communicative. Possessing extraordinary communications skills, including written, verbal,
and interpersonal, especially as the Venture Intern will be talking to entrepreneurs and
other stakeholders on behalf of the firm.
- Additional Helpful Qualifications. Helpful if the candidate has some experience in the
start-up ecosystem, existing network / high connectivity, and previous venture finance
To apply for this position, please email H/L’s Vice President of Platform, Galina Ozgur, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, please note: “[FIRST NAME-LAST NAME] MBA Internship – Portfolio Team Support”.
Please attach your resume, include your LinkedIn profile and tell us about your interest!
Thank you for applying!