Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
CZI’s investment program offers the unique opportunity for early-career professionals to learn the craft of investing and play an active role in building out an institutional-scale portfolio in an entrepreneurial setting.
The goal of CZI’s Investments function is to build an investment portfolio that will deliver superior risk-adjusted returns to fund CZI’s ongoing operations over the long-term. The investment program scours the globe to find and partner with extraordinary investment management firms. These managers invest across a wide spectrum of styles and asset classes.
Summer Analysts on the CZI Investments team will help foster relationships with exceptional investors from around the world and evaluate firms specializing in a variety of investment strategies across the portfolio (public equities, absolute return, private equity – both buyouts and venture capital – and real assets). We value truth-seeking, analytical rigor, and collaboration, and all investment team members have a voice in the process, regardless of seniority. The team is led by Chief Investment Officer David Lee, and currently has 19 other members.
Summer Analysts are actively involved across the investment process. This includes participating in meetings with existing and prospective managers, conducting bespoke analyses on prospective investments, monitoring existing investments, and working on discrete investment research projects. An ideal candidate is a college junior looking for an internship during the summer before their senior year. We welcome all majors to apply. You should be comfortable with navigating a young organization and be collaborative, hungry to learn, nimble, and proactive about figuring out how to make things happen. Successful Summer Analysts will be considered for full-time post-graduation Analyst roles on the Investments team.
Please note that the CZI Investments function is separate from Ventures at CZI, the team which makes investments into individual companies. For those interested in learning about Ventures at CZI specifically, please visit the Ventures website here.
- Conduct due diligence on existing and prospective investment managers, including participating in meetings and calls
- Play an active role in internal discussions related to investment decisions
- Build investment models, develop performance analyses, and monitor exposures at both the fund and portfolio level utilizing software/systems (including Excel)
- Prepare materials for internal team meetings and external manager meetings
- Research financial markets, including preparing periodic updates on financial market performance and “deep dives” into specific areas of interest
- Build relationships with investment managers and peer institutions
- Develop a toolkit and grow as an investor through hands-on training and mentorship
- Gain exposure to CZI’s philanthropic programs
- Current progress towards an undergraduate degree. An ideal candidate is a college junior looking for a summer internship between their junior and senior years. We welcome all majors to apply!
- Ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2023
- Targeted graduation date between December 2023 through Summer 2024
- Strong intellectual curiosity
- Interest in financial markets and desire to learn how to build successful investment portfolios
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize across projects to meet deadlines
- Passion for CZI’s mission
Please have your completed application submitted by 11:59pm PT on Sunday, September 11th. We look forward to meeting you!