Title: Summer Atentern
Reports to: Atento or a portfolio company (start-up)
Status: Non-Exempt/Exempt depending on role type
Available summer roles: Based on your experience, skillset, and the needs across our network for the season you will matched with our Investments team, Operations team, or directly with a start up (portfolio company)! Previous responsibilities/projects have included: sales, research, analytics, marketing, graphic design, data analytics, financial modeling, intake calls, office management, events management, game development, private equity investments and more. We provide ongoing learning and professional development, dorm/apartment-based housing during the summer, cover costs associated with travel to and from Tulsa, and plenty of networking opportunities! In the past two cycles, we have between 20-30 Summer Atenterns – this year we look to grow that number to 25-35. The below descriptions and programmatic details are based on our needs and experiences from previous years and are subject to change as new/different needs/circumstances arise.
- Portfolio Company, Atentern: Gain direct experience working with a start up in various phases of their business development. Be involved in everything from day-to-day operations, sales and marketing, research, direct support of clients, website design, product development, and business development efforts.
- In previous cycles, 70-80% of Atenterns were placed with portfolio companies
- Atento, Summer Atentern (Investments): Learn alongside the investments team as they do research, make decisions, and support portfolio companies in the ecosystem. Be prepared to conduct analytical research, participate in intake calls, and provide research to support decision making processes.
- In previous cycles, 5-50% of Atenterns were placed with the Investments Team
- Atento, Summer Atentern (Operations): Work with the Operations team to ensure facilitation of day-to-day office and financial management and operations within Atento.
- Atento, Summer Atentern (Marketing and Events): Work with the Marketing & Events team to ensure facilitation of a variety of events and marketing communication research and execution.
- Atento, MBA Atentern (Investments): For those in progress/who have completed their MBA – Put your skills to work and support the investments team in deep research, leading intake calls, participate in memo building, modeling predictions, and leading project-based VC work.
- We typically accept 1 to 3 MBA Atenterns
- Time Frame: May 22, 2023 through July 28, 2023. This is an in-person Atenternship and applicants must be available for the duration of the program.
- Housing: Having a tight-knit culture is important to us so we pay for and arrange dorm-style housing through our partnership with the University of Tulsa for the duration of the session.
- Travel to Tulsa: We pay for and arrange for domestic flights to and from Tulsa and reimburse for up to $500 for cost of non-air travel.
Who You Are: As our ideal Atentern, you are driven, hard-working, and ready to thrive in an ever-changing workplace that embraces all things tech to its core. You will be a key driver of your team’s success, whether you are placed on Atento’s Investments, Operations, or directly with one of our portfolio companies. You are committed to the Atento philosophy and are eager to communicate with all of the stakeholders in our community.
You will support our vision of having the greatest positive impact with the capital we allocate through unique ideas and/or through a personal project you’re passionate about. And, it goes without saying, you are intellectually curious with a tremendous work ethic. You pride yourself on your interpersonal skills and love being a sponge to knowledge. Lastly, to be successful in this role, you must have the mentality that no task is too large or too small. You must be ready to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a mix of structure and ambiguity.
Ongoing learning We believe in education builds a strong foundation. Atenterns will engage in multiple learning opportunities in preparation for the program and throughout the summer. At least 4 hours per week throughout the summer is dedicated to attending combinations of the learning opportunities listed below for all program participants.
- Venture training sessions
- Lunch & learn sessions with economic development and philanthropic leaders
- Completion of GoingVC training
- Book club with selections we believe elevate your professional experience
- Ongoing coaching and feedback from managers and project leaders
See a sample of last year’s scheduled professional development, social, and networking opportunities here.
- $15/hr for high school graduates
- $18/hr for those currently enrolled in an undergraduate program
- $22/hr for young professionals with BA or equivalent
- $27/hr for those currently enrolled in a Master’s program
- $2500/week for those qualifying and selected for the MBA Atenternship
- $31.00/hr for those with Phds
Our Ideal Atentern:
- Stays up at night thinking about democratizing access to venture capital
- Believes there needs to be more economic opportunity and startups between the coasts
- Cares deeply about creating upward mobility for traditionally under-invested groups while still providing above-market financial returns
- Possesses high growth potential with a willingness to learn and grow
- Is insatiably curious, fiercely collaborative, and comfortable working in ambiguity
Have more questions about the program? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions and Feedback & Advice from previous Atenterns!
- Atento COVID-19 Policy: Atento requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This vaccine requirement is subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act exceptions.
- High school graduate, enrolled in or recently completed an undergraduate or master’s degree program
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and G Suite (Slack and Canva are a plus)
- Passion for Atento’s mission of investing in diverse and inclusive job creation opportunities
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Team player and able to juggle multiple projects and tasks with efficiency and a good attitude
- Lives in or willing to relocate to Tulsa, OK for the full Atenternship session
Grow with Atento. Our Promise to You:
- You will gain expertise in venture capital investments, entrepreneurial development, and business management/operations.
- You will learn from and be mentored by both successful entrepreneurs and investors.
- You will be exposed to economic development, business operations, life at a start up, and philanthropic work.
- Social Events – Engaging with the community and each other is critical to the work we do. We will connect you with and host 1-2 opportunities each week for participants to attend to get to know one another and get to know Tulsa! Past favorite events include Tulsa Tough and Tulsa Night Crawls.
- You will develop a community within your summer cohort as well as make connections across our network.
Who We Are: Atento is more than just our name. It is who we are. Atento is the Spanish word for Helpful, and that is what we strive to be every day, living by the philosophy of “doing well by doing good.” We are a small team of Atentans incredibly passionate about what we do in our local community—a community we believe is a hidden gem and destination for entrepreneurs, the tech community, and top talent.