Title: 2024 Summer Atenternship Program
Reporting to: Program Manager and Portfolio Company
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Status: Temporary, non-exempt, up to 40 hours per week
Attention all aspiring venture capitalists and entrepreneurial enthusiasts! We’re excited to invite you to join our Summer 2024 Atenternship Program!
As an Atentern, you’ll play a crucial role in driving your team’s success, whether placed with Atento’s team or one of our portfolio companies. Based on your experience, skills, and the needs within our network, we’ll directly match you with a startup from Atento Capital’s portfolio (~75% of placements) or directly on our team (~25% of placements). You could find yourself in a variety of positions aligned with your career aspirations, including business development, finance, marketing, software engineering, and more. This year, we’re expanding the program to welcome 35-40 Summer Atenterns.
As our ideal Atentern, you’re driven, hard-working, and thrive in a tech-driven workplace. You are committed to the Atento Capital philosophy of “doing well by doing good” and enjoy communicating with our community stakeholders. You support our vision of making a positive impact with the capital we allocate, whether through unique ideas or personal projects. Of course, you are intellectually curious and have a strong work ethic. You take pride in your interpersonal skills and have a hunger for knowledge. Most importantly, you embrace a fast-paced environment that balances structure and ambiguity.
What We’re Looking For:
- You’re enthusiastic about democratizing access to venture capital.
- You believe in creating economic opportunities and startups in communities outside the coasts.
- You care deeply about providing upward mobility for under-invested groups while achieving above-market financial returns.
- You have high growth potential and a willingness to learn and improve.
- You’re curious, collaborative, and comfortable navigating ambiguity.
- You’re currently pursuing an undergraduate degree, master’s degree, or PhD.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and G Suite is required, and knowledge of Slack and Canva is a plus.
- You’re passionate about Atento’s mission of investing in diverse and inclusive job creation opportunities.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills are essential.
- You’re a team player, adept at juggling multiple projects with a positive attitude.
- You’re comfortable with interacting with professionals ranging from the junior to executive level.
- You’re able to occasionally attend networking and social events in the evenings to engage with our ecosystem.
- You either live in Tulsa, OK, or are open to relocating for the Atenternship and possible future full-time opportunities.
How the Atenternship Benefits You:
- Education is fundamental, and you’ll receive multiple learning opportunities to prepare you for the program and throughout the summer.
- Engage in venture training sessions, lunch & learn sessions with economic development and philanthropic leaders, and complete the GoingVC training.
- Participate in a book club that enhances your professional experience and receive ongoing coaching and feedback from managers and project leaders.
- Gain expertise in venture capital investments, entrepreneurial development, and business management/operations.
- Learn from successful entrepreneurs and investors, as well as gain exposure to economic development, business operations, startup life, and philanthropic work.
- Connect with the community and your fellow Atenterns through engaging social events.
- Build a strong network and form a community with your summer cohort via our private slack channel for future, current, and alumni Atenterns.
- The Atenternship runs from May 20, 2024, through July 26, 2024, and is an in-person program.
- Housing is arranged and covered through our partnership with the University of Tulsa in dorm-style accommodations for the entire session.
- We’ll take care of your travel to and from Tulsa, including domestic flights and reimbursement of up to $500 for non-air travel expenses.
Competitive hourly rates based on your educational background:
- Undergraduate students: $18/hr
- Young professionals with a BA or equivalent: $22/hr
- Master’s students: $27/hr
- PhD students: $31/hr
Have more questions about the program?
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions and Feedback & Advice from previous Atenterns!
- See a sample of last year’s scheduled professional development, social, and networking opportunities here.
- Application Deadlines:
- Early admission will end on October 15, 2023
- Regular admission will end on March 1, 2024
Who we are:
Atento is more than just our name. It is who we are. Atento is the Spanish word for Helpful, and that is what we strive to be every day, living by the philosophy of “doing well by doing good.” We are a small team of Atentans incredibly passionate about what we do in our local community, Tulsa—a community we believe is a hidden gem and destination for entrepreneurs, the tech community, and top talent.
At the core, as individuals and as an organization, we:
- Believe that talent is equally distributed, but opportunity is not
- Are driven to democratize access to venture capital
- Prioritize our time and talents in investing in the underinvested
- Execute all of the above while being uncompromising in striving for above-market, risk-adjusted returns.
As a venture capital organization, our Investments and Operations teams work closely together to drive growth and returns within Tulsa. Specifically, our investment focus lies on venture funds, non-local and local direct startups, and assorted entrepreneurship and tech startup-related programming—all with a strong lens towards diversity. We seek to maximize our impact on others while creating tremendous value for our investment partners, founders, and community. Using our community connections, deep commitment to entrepreneurship, and vision to scale technology in Tulsa, we invest in hard-working entrepreneurs and personally help them build their companies here.
If you are excited about working in a fast-paced, startup-esque environment where you will be challenged to continuously learn while driving revolutionary entrepreneurial development in a burgeoning tech hub, we want to meet you.
Atento Capital COVID-19 Policy:
Atento Capital requires all employees entering all Atento offices, traveling on behalf of Atento, or participating in any in-person interaction on behalf of Atento to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This vaccine requirement is subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act exceptions.