Anthos is a generalist venture capital firm with over $3B of assets under management. Venture capital is what fuels new and innovative businesses, and – since our founding in 2007 – we’ve had the privilege of investing in and working with the founders of Guayaki, Gopuff, Olaplex, Trunk Club, ApplyBoard, VRChat, and dozens of other category-leading start-ups to build their businesses. We purposely maintain a low profile, in keeping with our general ethos of humility and heads-down work ethic. The background of our diverse team possesses a good balance across finance – Goldman Sachs, Luxor, Ares, Summit – and consumer tech – Google, Facebook, Instagram, Snap, Apple, Venmo, and more.Interns have long been a core talent pipeline for us, with many converting to full-time analysts and advancing to more senior positions over time.
While our program is highly selective, we welcome people from all walks of life, majors, schools, and passions to apply – and have found that our most successful interns share several common traits: grit and focus, extreme curiosity, diligence, optimism, and imagination. If that describes you, we encourage you to apply!If you are sector agnostic in your internship search, please apply to the ‘Venture Capital Sourcing Intern – Generalist’ posting.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP: For over 10 years, Anthos has invited summer interns to join our team for a highly collaborative, well-supported, and fun experience. Below are the details for our 2023 summer program:
- For rising Seniors
- 10 weeks, from June 06 to August 11
- $1500 sign-on bonus, and $1200 per week
- Paired with an experienced investor, many of whom are former interns themselves
- Office location in Santa Monica, CA
- Highly selective full-time analyst offers made at the conclusion of the program
- 1 full week of immersive training to get you and the other interns up-to-speed on VC and what an Anthos deal looks like
- A cohort of 10-13 other summer interns to work with and learn from
- Plethora of social events to get to know the full Anthos team
- Open to those who are legally able to work in the U.S.
By the end of the summer, you will have made new friends and learned about what it means to be a Sourcing Analyst at Anthos.
YOUR ROLE: Every successful venture-backed deal started at the same point: being discovered. That’s the role of our Sourcing team. They are at the front lines of learning about and exploring new, promising companies that will change our future. As a Sourcing intern, you will play an important role in supporting the broader team in identifying and pitching new ideas internally.
- Discover exciting deal opportunities.
- Applying a thematic approach, research companies, explore trends, and chase prospects using tools like Pitchbook, Sourcescrub, and Harmonic.
- Track and manage your pipeline of companies in our customer relationship tool (CRM), Affinity.
- Connect with founders.
- Alongside seasoned Investors, leverage the extensive and deep Anthos network to get introductions to founders and CEOs.
- Prepare investors for conversations with leaders by providing background context on the founders and companies.
- Build the investment thesis.
- Work with managers to develop the investment thesis and compose the investment memo for Anthos-wide review.
- Consider the merits of the deal from a financial, trend-based, competitive, founder, product-market fit, and other perspectives.
- Participate in the weekly exercise of pitching a company you’ve discovered to a group of peers and investors.
- Support fact-gathering and analysis.
- Collaborate with the Research team to analyze user data, survey market trends etc.
- Help with store visits, customer interviews, and other ways to build out the fact-base to make a decision.
- Ad hoc projects to assist the broader Anthos team.
THE SOFTWARE POD:
- Interns working with the software pod will identify top investment opportunities across a broad range of sub-categories, including Cybersecurity, DevOps, Data Infrastructure, and Vertical SaaS.
- In addition to sourcing top opportunities, software interns will get to work on a summer project where they build their own category thesis, and present internally.
- Some of our software investment include; Emailage, Todyl and Honey.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Rising senior at a top university with a strong GPA and work experience. We aren’t looking for specific majors or certain classes. Rather, we are looking for people who drive to excel at whatever they choose to focus on – whether it be sports, the arts, or academics.
- Relentlessness and the grit / perseverance to win. This includes self-motivation, drive, and the ability to bounce right back from disappointment. Investing isn’t easy; we review hundreds (thousands?) of companies before finding a needle in the haystack.
- Independent thinking and extreme curiosity. Don’t follow the crowd, use your own intuition and facts to determine what will succeed, not being afraid to assert your case when needed. We’re not trying to emulate other VCs; we’re carving our own path.
- Immense capacity for learning and ingesting facts and data. Investing means drinking from the firehose always, even as a seasoned professional. Identifying patterns and remembering details will be crucial.
- Diligence and deeply-ingrained work ethic. The type of person who is successful at Anthos is someone who doesn’t need to be asked to help out. They’ve already done it.
- Ability to connect the dots about businesses and what’s happening in the world around you. This is what we mean by business acumen. It’s not something you learn in Econ class; it’s using logic, asking questions, and figuring out what’s going on before others do.
- Collaborative, coachable, and low ego. Our unique functional model requires team members to support each other to be successful. We’re all in this together. We don’t tolerate high egos or people who are in it for themselves.
Anthos Capital is committed to cultivating a fair, inclusive and equal work environment, and we’re proud of being the rare VC that has 50/50 gender representation across all levels. We strive to be a place where each team member is empowered to come to work as their true self.