mHUB is looking for a VC Fellow to collaborate with the team in growing and sustaining the organization’s venture-related initiatives. Working directly with the Development and Venture teams, the VC Fellow will actively support mHUB’s Product Impact Fund, Accelerated Incubation program, and the growth of the organization’s future Venture Fund(s).
This is an exciting opportunity to work with dynamic entrepreneurs, leading corporations, and seasoned investors to gain hands-on experience in the Chicago startup and venture capital industry. Candidates should be highly-motivated, a self-starter, and a creative thinker with excellent interpersonal skills, and are passionate about the hardtech venture ecosystem.
mHUB is a leading independent hardtech and manufacturing innovation center located in Chicago, Illinois with a mission to enable U.S. hardtech innovation and commercialization by fueling collaboration and providing an accessible, hyper-resourced environment to develop, fund and accelerate clean energy, health, sustainability, and manufacturing entrepreneurship. Launched in 2017, the mHUB community of more than 350 active and alumni companies have raised $1.034 billion in capital, generated more than $721M in revenue, launched more than 1,398 products and hired more than 3,987 employees. mHUB’s three business units – Incubator, HardTech Development Services, and Accelerated Incubation / Product Impact Fund – connect startups, innovators, researchers, manufacturers, and investors to spur innovation.
mHUB’s Product Impact Fund I is a Venture Fund that invests in seed and early-stage hardtech companies with deployment from 2020 to 2024. The Fund is designed to support the acceleration of early-stage hardtech innovation in the U.S. The Fund intends to invest in 50-60 startups across Climate & Energy, Medical Devices, and Smart & Sustainable Manufacturing. The Fund is led by Haven Allen, CEO & Co-Founder of mHUB; Melissa Lederer, CXO of mHUB; Israel Idonije, Former Chicago Bear & Founder of FBRK; Steve Koch, Former Deputy Mayor of Chicago & Managing Director at the Bowline Group; and Mark Tebbe, Founder of Answers Corporation (ANSW) & Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship at University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
The mHUB team is an ambitious, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven team committed to helping entrepreneurs find a path to success and supporting economic growth in Chicago, the Midwest, and the U.S. We are builders and problem solvers, excited about the potential in hardtech and manufacturing entrepreneurship and by bringing businesses and products to life.
- Work alongside leadership on high-impact, growth-related projects that will accelerate mHUB’s market leadership in the hardtech and manufacturing ecosystem, including the development and initiation of mHUB’s 2nd & 3rd Funds
- Perform market research on our industry and other relevant markets
- Assist in building and maintaining a pipeline of potential investors, portfolio companies, corporate sponsors, partners, etc., and ensure the team has ample support in activating those leads
- Investment performance modeling and forecasting
- Organize and create relevant resources needed to provide ongoing support to portfolio companies
- Support in investor relations, administration, and due diligence
- Collaborate on executive and board presentations
- Contribute to fundraising efforts
- All responsibilities are dynamic and evolve throughout the term based on priorities
- MBA or actively pursuing an MBA; Bachelor’s degree required
- Pre-MBA work experience of 2+ years
- Desire to work in a high-growth, entrepreneurial culture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Cross-functional communication
- Prior experience conducting research projects and effectively presenting findings to leadership
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Authorized to work in the United States
Ability to uphold, embody, and articulate the following values:
- Respect and Value Diversity – We agree to value the rights of all individuals to mutual respect. The diversity of our community is a fundamental strength of the organization.
- Tackle each Day with Passion, Enthusiasm and Curiosity – What we’re doing is special. What we’re doing has impact. What we’re doing is the spark that is igniting a community.
- Try. Learn. Grow – We are entrepreneurs. We won’t be afraid to be bold and take risks. We won’t wait for the idea, we’ll create it ourselves. mHUB is a launch pad for our startups, but also for us.
- Hold Ourselves Accountable – We agree to be personally accountable to the “promises” we make. We don’t blame others or ourselves. If we need help, we ask. If we make a mistake, we communicate it and fix it.
- We are Greater as the Sum of our Parts – Together we are greater than alone. We are one team, and collaboration is crucial to our success. We treat one another fairly and with respect. We challenge one another to rise to our best.
Salary and Duration
A stipend of $1,000 per month will be provided. The internship will last a minimum of 11 weeks between May 2023 to the end of August 2023, depending on the applicant’s academic calendar year, with an opportunity for an extension beyond the summer.
To apply, please submit the following items by email to info@mHUBChicago.com
- Cover Letter