Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is a leading healthcare nonprofit organization like no other. For decades, we have been taking major steps and pioneering new ways to find a cure for cystic fibrosis.
We are the global leader in the search for a cure for cystic fibrosis and nearly every CF drug and therapy available today was made possible because of CF Foundation support. We did this not only for the more than 30,000 people living in the U.S. with CF – and the estimated 70,000 people worldwide – but for the families who have worked tirelessly to find a cure for their loved ones living with CF.
These achievements have required dedication and unwavering commitment from a talented team of CF Foundation employees. We have created an environment that attracts — and retains — a diverse group of talented people who are passionate about changing the face of this disease. Join us and you will partner with colleagues of varying backgrounds and expertise, all united in our mission.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CF Foundation) and its employees embrace their commitment to its core values. These core values are the pillars on which the CF Foundation stand and will continue to sustain us as we move forward.
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their families.
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work. We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support one another.
We are a nonprofit, donor-supported organization that has raised and invested billions of dollars to help develop cystic fibrosis therapies that have changed the lives of people with this disease. Nearly every CF medicine available today was made possible because of Foundation support.
The CFF has committed to invest over $500M in our Path to a Cure (PTAC) Initiative. The Mission Related Investments (MRI) Fellow will support the Investments and Research Affairs teams in the evaluation of new biotechnology company investments as part of the PTAC initiative. The Fellowship is centered around learning how to perform due diligence on exciting new genetic medicine technologies. The Fellow will assist in sourcing and triaging new opportunities as well as performing landscape analyses of key strategic areas including gene editing, gene insertion, and gene delivery. These skills are very translatable to highly sought-after career opportunities in venture capital, venture philanthropy, business development, and entrepreneurship.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and research new investment opportunities for the Foundation’s PTAC initiative.
- Conduct scientific due diligence under the supervision of the Investments and Research Affairs teams.
- Perform primary and secondary literature searches to help assess new opportunities.
- Identify and participate in subject matter expert and key opinion leader calls.
- Own and manage key landscapes that will inform sourcing and diligence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Working toward a PhD, MD, or MD/PhD degree (preference for candidates with a 2023/early 2024 expected graduation date) or current Post-Doctoral Researcher, with a focus on genetic therapies or a related field (e.g., virology, gene delivery materials science, etc.).
- No prior business, finance, or biotechnology industry experience required.
- Deep interest in learning best practices to evaluate early-stage biotech company investments.
- Ability to work 15 – 20 hours/week for twelve consecutive weeks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members to accomplish objectives, including diverse scientific team seeking to integrate diligence with a scientific development platform for cystic fibrosis.
- Ability to prepare well-written, organized material and present recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex scientific information and data.
- Ability and interest in researching and uncovering new insights.
- Ability to communicate effectively and foster deep relationships.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN/GAIN DURING THE FELLOWSHIP:
- Basics of biotech venture capital investing.
- Fundamentals of due diligence (aka search and evaluation).
- Introduction to the biotechnology innovation ecosystem.
- Exposure to investment opportunities in a wide variety of modalities and technology classes.
- Develop clear understanding of genetic therapy technologies and how this integrates with drug development in cystic fibrosis and other respiratory and systemic conditions.
- Fellows who demonstrate exceptional performance may be invited to extend their Fellowship and/or be invited to apply for full-time positions.
- Reports to Senior Director, Investments.
- No direct reports.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is headquartered in Bethesda, MD, however this role can be performed on a remote-basis. We offer a pay rate of $45.00 per hour for this fellowship.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust and temperature.
- No heavy lifting required.
- Minimal travel (e.g., 2x/yr.) to conferences and meetings, as necessary.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements.