As Shell Group’s corporate venture capital business, Shell Ventures (SV) mission is to accelerate the energy transition and the transformation of the mobility and transport sector. It does so by making minority investments in start-ups and scale-ups to get access to new business models and technologies for Shell. SV’s objective is to be the ‘eyes & ears’ of Shell in the external ecosystem of start-up and scale-up innovators, spotting disruptive trends early enough for Shell to anticipate and participate in the disruption.
What is the role?
Shell Ventures is looking for an experienced leader and VC investment professional to lead its efforts in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Investment Director and General Manager of Shell Ventures in the San Francisco Bay Area will lead a team of highly motived investment professionals that source and execute investment proposals from the region. The San Francisco hub contributes to approx. one-third of SV’s global dealflow and is a critical market for sourcing disruptive innovations for the Shell Group. The Investment Director will be a coach and active mentor to less experienced members of the team in SF and North America.
The Investment Director is a voting member of the 8-person Shell Ventures’ Leadership team, equivalent to the Partner meeting in a VC fund. She/He will vote on deals sourced from other hubs, including those in Europe and Asia.
SV’s San Francisco team is co-located with colleagues from Shell’s Solar, Hydrogen and Energy Marketing businesses at 650 California Street.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Leads the SF Bay Area hub
- Builds professional capacity of staff in the hub
- Is the senior spokes-person for SV in the region and a senior spokes person for Shell Group regarding investing and innovation in the energy transition.
- Develops and rolls-out an inspiring strategy for venturing in the SF Bay Area
- Co-Chair of one of the 3 main SV Investment Committees (Mobility, Power & Heat or Resources & Environment).
- Orchestrates the conversation in the IC and sets the agenda and attendees.
- With other members of the IC, and with input from the Business and/ore the R&D team, co-creates or oversees a compelling strategy for the sectors within the vertical
- Board Director in 3-6 companies:
- Occasionally overall Board Chair and/or Chair of Board Committees (eg Remuneration, Audit)
- Fellow Board members include senior O&G, Utility, OEM and Industrial staff (generally @ VP or GM level) + Partners at financial VCs
- Key liaison to EVPs/VPs/GMs of business units/lines in the business: Renewable Energy Solutions, Integrated Gas, Downstream, Upstream and Projects & Technology; influencing their strategy/M&A and commercial insights
- Providing early strategic insights to the business and high-level inroads for Shell (M&A) re SV portfolio companies
- Driving future direction of Shell Group through initial investments in new sectors (e.g. renewable power retail, Biofuels, waste to chemicals, cybersecurity, hydrogen, nuclear, decarbonization and nature based solutions).
- Regular involvement and key sparring partner for M&A and Strategy & Portfolio departments
- Involved in setting Strategy and investment thesis for M&A and Strategy involved in acquisitions, as workstream lead/commercial reviewer.
- Steady provider of M&A deal flow for NBD teams globally.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in venture capital, growth/private equity
- Experience with Energy, Cleantech or IT/Digital innovation
- Inclusive leader (coach, mentors and listens)
- Social and analytical qualities: much thought-after team player
- Strong deal-sheet of deals and exits led or co-led in recent years
- Broad, active network of co-investors and entrepreneurs
- Strategic and inquisitive mindset.
- Purpose driven: Affinity with the energy transition and climate change
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.