- In collaboration with other development officers, Purdue Ventures and Purdue Research Foundation (PRF) leadership, the Director of Development, Venture Capital, will identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective individual and organizational donors whose interest and financial capacity have the greatest likelihood of meeting Purdue Ventures private fundraising goals.
- Activities include targeting those alumni with an interest in venture capital and early-stage investments, as well as entrepreneurship or mentorship.
- Advance relationships with individual and organizational donors through appropriate stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Set specific objectives to effectively advance toward solicitation of funding including major gifts and investments into various Purdue Venture funds.
- Assist in the development of a marketing and communications plan that supports the strategic priorities of Purdue Ventures and Purdue Research Foundation.
- Assist in the coordination of regional events, advisory council meetings, and other special events.
- As such, this position is hybrid with the expectation of being within a commutable distance to Purdue’s West Lafayette campus.
- Assist with the stewardship of gifts including the acknowledgment process, coordinating recognition events, planning dedications, and working with the University Development on appropriate recognition.
- Prepare and report regularly on annual action plans and defined activities and timetables.
- Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filing of requests of prospect assignments, prospect strategies, and contact reports using the University’s prospect system.
- Work in partnership with support staff to manage the production of stewardship reports, and oversight of the acknowledgment letter process for Purdue Research Foundation.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Must be highly motivated with strong relationship building skills and demonstrated capacity for leadership, organization, and teamwork.
- Must be highly collaborative with a demonstrated history of donor-centered fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Capable of identifying high net worth individuals, cultivating relationships, securing, and stewarding gifts.
- Ability to communicate well in writing and make presentations before large groups.
- Ability to interpret and articulate Purdue Ventures and related PRF business missions.
- Must be able to interact with stakeholders from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Sound judgment, initiative, and ability to collaborate effectively are required.
- Excellent relationship-building, organizational, and time-management skills required.
- Good computer skills necessary.
- Current understanding and or interest in gaining an understanding of commercialization of new technologies and start-up company funding sources and uses.
- Understanding of alternative assets or venture capital is a plus, but not requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years or more in development and fundraising.
- Track record of gifts solicitation in a non-profit organization required.
- Higher education major gift fundraising experience a plus, but not required.
- Experience in investor relations or private capital fundraising a plus, but not required.
About Purdue for Life Foundation
The Purdue for Life Foundation is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Purdue for Life views, evaluates, and treats all persons in all Foundation-related activities solely as individuals on the basis of their own personal abilities, qualifications, and other relevant characteristics. All qualified applicants for employment will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, color, gender, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or status as a veteran.
A criminal conviction check and negative controlled substance test are required for employment in this position.