ORIX USA’s Growth Capital (“OGC”), ORIX USA’s growth capital division, is seeking to hire an Associate Director, Strategic Initiatives to support the growth of the investment platform via the execution of the group’s strategy across the investment, portfolio management, and fundraising functions. The Associate Director will report directly to the Group Head of ORIX USA Growth Capital and will be responsible for interfacing with key stakeholders, both internally and externally. A key initiative for ORIX USA is to continue to build a third-party asset management strategy to complement the firm’s strong track record of balance sheet investing. This role will be highly involved with OGC’s third party capital raising effort, and will include investment analyses, investor due diligence, and portfolio data, amongst other initiatives.
The position will be partially remote with a preferred candidate location in either (i) the New York Metropolitan Area, (ii) San Francisco, CA, (iii) Seattle, WA, or (iv) Dallas, TX. As a member of this team, you will receive the opportunity to work in a small, entrepreneurial environment with the resources of a large, global parent organization with a market capitalization of over $20 billion and balance sheet assets of over $110 billion, ORIX (NYSE: IX).
ORIX USA’s Growth Capital is a leading provider of structured debt and equity capital to high growth businesses in the technology and healthcare sectors in the U.S. and Canada. ORIX USA’s Growth Capital is one of the early pioneers of the venture debt industry, with a successful investing track record that spans over 21 years and $2.7 billion invested across approximately 200 companies. The group is proud of its talented team, strong industry relationships and commitment to long term success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fundraising and Securitization Process: Play a pivotal role in the capital raise and securitization process, ensuring the group’s financial growth and stability
- Investor Relations: Refine and update investor presentations, ensuring they reflect the most current and compelling points about the platform
- Data Management: Organize, cleanse, and maintain data integrity, ensuring transparency, accuracy, and trustworthiness in all investor communications
- Investor Support: Proactively address Ad Hoc investor requests, fostering strong relationships and trust with key stakeholders
Strategic & Competitive
- Competitive Strategy: Support and enhance competitive initiatives, ensuring ORIX USA’s Growth Capital remains at the forefront of the venture and growth debt industry
- Strategic Visioning: Collaborate with senior leadership to continue to evolve OGC’s long-term strategy and market positioning, ensuring alignment with market opportunities and stakeholder expectations
- Market Expansion: Evaluate and recommend existing and potential markets or sectors for investment, leveraging data driven insights to identify gaps and product improvements in the market that could be addressed by the group
- Operational Excellence: Drive initiatives aimed at optimizing operational efficiency, ensuring the fund’s processes are both agile and effective in a dynamic market environment
- Talent Development: Champion a culture of continuous learning and innovation within the team, ensuring the fund remains at the cutting edge of industry best practices and trends. Play a key role in the hiring and training of junior staff, ensuring talent is equipped with the skills and knowledge to excel.
- Portfolio Review Leadership: Spearhead the monthly and quarterly portfolio review processes, ensuring alignment with ORIX’s standards and client expectations
- Financial Analysis: Deep dive into portfolio company performance, extracting insights from operational metrics and key performance indicators to drive strategic decisions
- Market Research & Analysis: Stay ahead of industry trends by evaluating market dynamics through comprehensive research, and by fostering relationships with research analysis, customers, channel partners, and management teams
- Valuation Oversight: Lead the quarterly valuation of investment positions, collaborating closely with 3rd party vendors
- Tech Implementation: Champion the implementation of portfolio management software, ensuring efficiency, accuracy, and that it meets the needs of the business unit
Education, Skills, & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a degree in finance, economics, or related field.
- Strong desire and ability to learn
- 5+ years of experience in technology-centric venture capital, investment banking, private equity, consulting, or related fields
- Prior investment banking, direct investing (lending/private equity), or fundraising/investor relations experience preferred but not required
- Hands-on experience creating financial models and supporting all phases of financial planning, including forecasting, reporting, and analytics is required
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Sound business judgment and decision-making abilities
- Excellent organizational, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to hire, train, develop, and manage junior level talent
- Ability to manage multiple large projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and constant interruptions; ability to adjust priority