Illini Venture Network
Illinois Ventures acts as the venture capital arm of the University of Illinois System Office and is responsible for facilitating the launch and successful growth of advanced technology ventures that are affiliated with the University (faculty, student and alumni) by providing and helping to mobilize early-stage investment capital for these ventures. The Director, Illini Angel Network, will be principally responsible for the launch and long-term success of the Illini Angel Network, which is a new initiative under Illinois Ventures to facilitate investments from high-net worth alumni into University-related startup companies.
The Director will be responsible for 1) growing the network by recruiting and supporting high-net-worth alumni as members, 2) sourcing investment opportunities for the members by identifying promising University-related ventures that are seeking investments, and 3) raising the profile of Illini Angels by promoting it on campus and throughout Illinois through existing technology venture ecosystems, and nationally through the University’s extensive network of alumni.
Additional responsibilities included:
- As a member of the Illinois Ventures team, provide support and efforts towards all activities related to the mission and vision of the Organization.
- Working under the guidance of the Senior Director mange all activities related to creating, growing, managing, executing and ensuring the success of the Illini Angel Network.
- Grow the Illini Angel Network by marketing to high-net-worth alumni (and other potential members) through the entrepreneurial ecosystems in Champaign and Chicago and through the University’s alumni network.
- Manage the Network by sourcing attractive and promising investment opportunities for the group and by supporting the members’ needs for networking and educational opportunities with an emphasis on early-stage and technology-based investing.
- Conduct and coordinate due diligence efforts to ensure that information about investment opportunities that will be presented to the members of the Network is accurate and relevant to their making responsible investment decisions.
- Build strong relationships with trusted investment partners, including venture capital firms, other angel investor groups, etc., both to source investment opportunities for the Network and to identify co-investors in new ventures that have received investments from the Network’s members.
- Recruit interns from the Gies College of Business to assist in due diligence on investment opportunities.
- Manage the Illini Angels website and other associated marketing related activities.
- Identify and recruit potential sponsors for the network (e.g. banks, law firms, accounting firms).
- Promote the Network through media relations, press releases, social media campaigns, etc.
- Provide periodic reports on the growth, economic impact, and financial condition of the Network.
- A bachelors degree in the areas of business, communications, technology and/or related field.
- At least three years of relevant experience (working with alumni, venture capitalists, and/or early-stage companies).
- A strong personal commitment to the mission and purpose of Illinois Ventures and Illini Angels.
- Excellent organizational and marketing skills.
- Ability to address the needs of diverse stakeholders to support the growth of a membership-based organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technology entrepreneurs and high-net-worth investors.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Advanced degree in the areas of business, communications, technology and/or related field.
- Five years of relevant experience (working with alumni, venture capitalists and/or early-stage companies is desired).
- Strong business skills and a general understanding of venture capital and entrepreneurial finance.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by 6 pm on 3/2/2023 or visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/employment.