Yamaha Motor Ventures
Yamaha Motor Ventures (“YMV”) is the corporate venture capital arm of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd, and exists to catalyze innovation by supporting entrepreneurs with Yamaha Motor’s unique capabilities to transform how we live. We have the resources and backing of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (“YMC”), but we also have the openness and agility of a startup. We manage the Yamaha Motor’s Sustainability Fund, a $100M dedicated fund that invests in climate tech including but not limited to sectors such as carbon capture & storage, energy storage, alternative fuels and novel materials.
YMV is searching for an Associate / Senior Associate as a key part of the Fund’s Investment Team. The role is ideally suited for a high energy individual with intellectual curiosity for diverse technologies and business models. This position will support and drive new investments aligned with YMV’s overall investment strategy related to Sustainability.
- Analyze investment areas and drive investment theses in YMV’s areas of interest.
- Lead rigorous due diligence on prospective startups, including business, financial and technology analysis.
- Proactively network with the broader venture ecosystem building relationships to drive deal flow and diligence or prospective investments.
- Contribute to ongoing market reports with analysis of trends and insights at times requiring in-depth analysis.
- Understand the strategy and requirements of the various businesses with Yamaha Motor Corporation and support activities of the investment team.
- Facilitate strategic collaboration opportunities between startups and the various businesses within Yamaha Motor Corporation.
- Actively source and refer investment opportunities to the Investment Team
- Monitor and track portfolio companies as well as take portfolio company Observer Seat
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Intellectual curiosity for diverse technologies and a hunger to learn.
- Minimum bachelors degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, and / or in Engineering or Science
- Or: Masters / PhD in Business (Finance, Accounting, Economics), Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, Chemical), Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) or Math
- Demonstrates a passion for venture capital.
- 2-6 years venture capital or similar investment experience required with ability to hit the ground running.
- Strong work ethic, able to contribute at a high level in less-defined roles.
- Experience working with startups
- Ability to create and understand financial models, cap tables and various forms of company valuations and transactions (equity or debt)
- Experience in assisting in the venture capital process or private equity investments
- Able to a share list of venture capital / private equity transactions you were involved with
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and a driving record from the state of your primary residence that meets YMV’s insurance standards.
- Able to pass a seven (7) year background check
Base Salary Range:
The typical range for this role is between $100K – $165K. Yamaha Motor has different base pay ranges for different locations within the United States which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently.
Travel & Location:
- Position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Frequent domestic and international travel of approximately 30-40% may be expected or required.
- We are open to a remote working option.
YMV is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
AT YAMAHA, WE ARE THE “KANDO” CREATING COMPANY
What is Kando you ask? Quite simply, Kando is an emotion that is best described as the feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement that we experience when we encounter something of exceptional value. We create Kando for our customers by offering them the most exciting and highest quality products in our industry. But in order to achieve this, we need passionate people who believe in what we do. Is that you?
About Yamaha Motor Ventures (“YMV”)
Our work encompasses venture capital investments, portfolio management, innovation projects, and strategic efforts in collaboration with Yamaha Motor’s global operations. We’re active members of the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and we value action-oriented efforts. Some of the areas we explore include the future of mobility, sustainability, robotics, agriculture, digital health, wellness, finance and insurance. YMV is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. For more information: https://www.yamahamotor.vc/