Wittington Ventures (WV) is a Toronto-based venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs across North America who are using technology to redefine the future of commerce, healthcare and food. We are thesis-driven – we evaluate industry sub-sectors and invest in start-ups that share our conviction on the trends that we identify. WV has a unique set of investors that give us unparalleled access to some of Canada’s largest companies to help our portfolio of startups succeed; our affiliates include companies such as Loblaw, Shoppers Drug Mart, Choice Properties, Holt-Renfrew, PC Financial and Joe Fresh.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our small and closely knit investment team at the Associate level. The successful candidate will be part of a unique and growing venture capital platform to help us identify, evaluate, invest in, and build the next-generation of leading companies in our investment sectors.
The Associate will be an intellectually curious individual who can broaden our industry knowledge in the commerce, healthcare and food sectors, including the emerging technologies that underpin them (e.g. AI, Web3, ClimateTech). As an important member of the investment team, you will spend your time on sector research, deal sourcing, company diligence, investment execution, and fund and portfolio company support. The work periodically includes interacting with our investor affiliates to help understand industry trends and share mutual perspectives on industry developments. The firm’s presence and relationships will allow you to see consistently interesting deal flow, and you will gain experience in crafting investment theses, identifying obscure patterns and understanding how to predict and unlock meaningful returns.
You will bring to the team a background in science, engineering or business, a strong financial acumen, an analytical mindset, entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative approach to problem solving. This is an opportunity to join an ambitious team and unique investment platform that is backing founders and category-defining technology companies that will fuel the next century of innovation. While we prefer a Toronto-based candidate, our work is hybrid in nature (in/out of office) so could consider individuals outside of Toronto.
– Conduct market analysis and opportunity identification via research, conferences, and networking.
– Interact with executives in our investor affiliate companies to compare notes on industry trends and investment opportunity areas.
– Proactively develop relationships with early-stage companies that align with our investment thesis.
Diligence and Investment Execution
– Support the team’s initial screening and manage subsequent due diligence of potential investments.
– Develop detailed financial models, including valuation, exit scenario analysis, and capital structure.
– Create diligence materials and investment summaries to support investment decisions.
Portfolio Company Support
– Support portfolio companies around key strategic initiatives, talent sourcing, business development, and future financing or exit.
Fund / Firm Support
– Play a key internal role in managing the fund reporting process, including investment monitoring and valuation analysis, and quarterly reporting
– Marketing and investor relations
– Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering or business.
– 2-4 years of work experience in the technology industry in a start-up, big tech, management consulting and/or as an investor.
– Must enjoy a versatile and dynamic environment in a small team.
– Outstanding financial and analytical skills.
– Exceptional business writing and data synthesizing capabilities.
– Proficiency in spreadsheet, presentation and other office productivity tools.
– Ability to research diverse areas and synthesize differing opinions on various technology topics.
– Ability to interact with start-up founders and corporate executives in a collaborative manner.
– Thoughtful, imaginative, and intellectually curious with strong interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
– Strong work ethic, self-driven with attention to detail and follow-through.
– Ability to juggle multiple workflows and responsibilities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com