As an MBA Venture Associate, you will have the opportunity to work closely with startups in our program, learn how we think about investment, get exposure to the technology startup scene in Seattle, and meet amazing people. You will also attend and participate in much of what goes on around Techstars including mentor and founder talks as well as workshops. It’s a great opportunity to learn about running a startup right at the source of where things get done, while adding a ton of value to the operations of great startup companies and Techstars itself. This role is a temporary, part-time position, generally performed 10-20 hours per week from October through February 2023, with potential opportunity for a longer engagement through the Filecoin Techstars program (March through June 2023). Applicants should be able to jump in and complete any task quickly and effectively. We expect a great attitude, a “founder first” mentality, a desire to learn and to meet new people, and lots of energy and enthusiasm. You should be scared of no task and be willing to take on any project, large or small. This is a chance to learn startup best practices from one of the premier venture accelerators in the country, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, and get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams in the country. Historically, many associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies.
This Job Has Two Primary Responsibilities
- Assisting the accelerator team with the sourcing and vetting of the next class of global startups for the 2023 Filecoin Techstars accelerator program. The Venture Associate will assist in researching, sourcing, coordinating interviews, and performing diligence on startups.
- Working with the twelve startup companies in our 2022-23 class on their business development, go-to-market, and fundraising needs (including, but not limited to industry and competitive landscaping, lead identification and generation, fundraising decks, and financial modeling).
Associate will work closely with the Investment Associate. The split between the two responsibility categories may change throughout the program depending on the needs of the portfolio companies and the program staff.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Research startups and connectors in target geographies aligning with clearly defined accelerator goals
- Qualify startup leads and perform initial outreach, if requested by the founders
- Schedule interviews with qualified startups
- Perform diligence on startup financials, founders, etc
- Perform research for current program startup companies, including customer discovery, market research, etc.
- Support companies with their GTM efforts
- Assist companies with their fundraising needs including, but not limited to, financial modeling, pitch deck preparation, research and analysis to support the fundraising process, and investor pipeline generation.
- Open to first or second year MBA students.
- 1+ year(s) relevant experience in a fast-paced environment with a focus on entrepreneurship, startups, venture capital, fundraising, and/or consulting
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital
- Interest in Web3
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Experience with research tools and methodologies
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Comfortable with a variety of responsibilities
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Preference given to applicants based in the Seattle area
Compensation$21-25/hr – 10-20 hours per week