As an Investment Associate, you are joining a Techstars team responsible for sourcing, recruiting and helping to accelerate the growth of the companies we invest in. You will have the opportunity to have a front-row seat of the creation of some of the most prolific companies of the next decade. You will bring to the program an understanding of early stage startup operations, investing and fundraising. You will consistently meet with entrepreneurs, mentors and venture funds; you should expect to be well versed on emerging trends and technologies in the venture capital industry. You will be intimately involved in the support of our founders in the program, helping them accelerate traction through customer development and sales support. You will also be a critical partner for them in their fundraising efforts, helping them build their pitch decks, hone their pitch, make investor introductions, and help them run an efficient and effective process. You’ll build strong bonds with the startups you bring into the program, acting as a resource and looking out for relevant opportunities to support their success.
In conjunction with the Managing Director:
- Lead multiple investment decisions a year, directly attributed to you, with support from your Managing Director
- Source, recruit, evaluate, and close investments in target companies consistent with your program investment thesis utilizing direct outreach, paid marketing, events, referrals, and in-bound accelerator applications
- Do what it takes to identify, close, and help world-class founders to find success and to make sure our accelerator experience is authentic and extraordinary
- Form and foster authentic relationships with founders, investors, mentors, service providers, and other ecosystem partners in order to develop sourcing relationships and build a support network for our founders
- Help our founders secure additional investment during and post-program
- Deliver content and workshops during our 13-week accelerator programs
- Mentor our founders and provide them with the network, tools, and education they need to succeed
- Provide ongoing portfolio management and assistance for our companies
- Deep understanding of, empathy for, and experience with, the zero-to-one entrepreneurial process – you quite likely have 1) been a co-founder or early employee at a startup company and have ideally been involved with a successful fundraise or two, or 2) have prior early-stage tech investing experience
- Experience engaging with and supporting a diverse entrepreneurial network
- 5-10 years of prior experience in the technology industry; product development, engineering, or go-to-market experience
- Experience constructing Investment Memos and supporting research
- Understanding of venture deals, investment materials, and investor pitches
- An investment track record that demonstrates the ability to source, transact and grow early stage businesses
- Strong emotional intelligence, experience with recruiting, vetting or advising entrepreneurs
- A genuine passion for technology and startups, an entrepreneurial mindset and a desire to learn
- You are available to travel
- Systems thinker with an eye for things that do not scale and the capability to design new processes and systems for implementation across programs
- Expertise with Excel models, Google Suite, and other tools utilized by our founders and program
- Your verbal and written communication skills are razor sharp
- Initiative and comfort working through uncertainty/unstructured environments come naturally to you
- Analytically oriented – you make decisions based on data
- You can sell – you combine credibility and chemistry to convince people to join you on your journey
Compensation Range – $110k-135k + 10% Bonus
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas – entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $29B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.
Techstars uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Participation Poster (English and Spanish)
- Right To Work Poster (English and Spanish)