We are an active, long-term investor in leading innovative businesses globally. Our approach combines analytical rigor and creative thinking to identify high-quality growth businesses that are creating the future. Through an integrated investment platform spanning venture capital, growth equity and public equity, we provide growth capital solutions to institutions and fund sponsors in more than 40 countries (detailed on our website www.sandscapital.com).
About the Role:
Sands Capital is seeking a motivated Research Associate (RA) to join our Investment Team (Technology Sector). The firm is primarily seeking out current seniors in undergraduate university who can join the firm following graduation in May/June 2024. This individual will support and assist an experienced Research Analyst to help them monitor existing investments and conduct research on new investment ideas within the global Technology sector, with a focus on public software companies.
The RA is typically expected to work for 2-4 years before either leaving for external opportunities or being considered for internal promotion based on performance and firm needs.
This role is expected to work from our Arlington, VA office on a hybrid schedule at a minimum of two days per week in office (specifically, Tuesdays and Wednesdays) or as directed, depending on team needs. Please know that the hybrid schedule is subject to change, as directed by our Executive Management Team, at any time.
The Technology RA is responsible for:
- Successfully completing research projects by:
- Creating and maintaining financial models that support the investment decision process;
- Creating, maintaining, and analyzing industry data;
- Crafting well-informed and succinct research notes;
- Preparing presentations to support communication with various Portfolio Management teams;
- Participating in and helping prepare for meetings with company management teams;
- Aiding in all other aspects of company research from idea generation to the monitoring of existing investments.
- Executing on functional tasks by:
- Accurately updating company/industry data;
- Updating and maintaining key Investment Team and sector-specific documents and tools, including company models, sector screens and data tracking;
- Developing a strong team dynamic by building and sustaining effective and supportive working relationships within and between sectors by:
- Prioritizing research with your sector team;
- Establishing transparency and embracing best practices by communicating priorities, projects, and other status updates with the sector team(s);
- Performing other administrative and professional responsibilities, as needed; and
- Exhibiting behaviors consistent with Sands Capital’s Mission, Values, and culture.
Required Skills, Qualifications, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Engineering, or other relevant major (strong academic performance required);
- 0-2 years of experience analyzing companies and industries, including investment banking, sell-side research, and management consulting;
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint;
- A genuine and demonstrable passion for quantitative analysis and investment research;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- Exceptional work ethic and an ability to complete assigned projects in a timely manner without direct supervision;
- Be able to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team, while also being able to work independently with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy;
- Be highly self-motivated with an analytical mindset, strategic aptitude, and a positive, “can-do” attitude; and
- Interest in pursuing CFA credential / CFA candidates preferred.
Required Behavioral Characteristics:
- Having impeccable integrity;
- Exhibiting superior client service skills (to include both internal and external clients);
- Exhibiting strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrating a strong work ethic in a fast-paced, professional environment;
- Operating with a high degree of initiative, self-discipline, and motivation;
- Working effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- Assuming the best of others; and
- Being motivated by a job well-done.
Sands Capital’s Values:
Identified below are Values the firm holds in high regard and believes are critical for high-performing individuals and teams at Sands Capital:
- Integrity and Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
- Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
- Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
- Focus: Identify and concentrate on “what matters”
- Long-Term Perspective: Appreciate that time allows sound decisions to demonstrate their worth. Avoid short-term thinking
- Independent Thinking: Have the courage to develop and articulate your own convictions. Debate others openly and honestly
- Teamwork: Collaborate to gather facts, develop perspective, build conviction, and support timely decision-making
- Positive “Can-Do” Attitude: Demonstrate a willingness to tackle any task
- Graciousness: Reflect kindness and courtesy at all times
- Balance: Enjoy your work while balancing professional activities with interests beyond the firm
- Meritocracy: Know that talent and achievement will drive your success at Sands Capital