Reach Capital is the leading early-stage edtech fund investing in the future of education and work. We are committed to supporting the growth of the edtech ecosystem and working in service of the category-defining startups and entrepreneurs in education.
We are looking for an exceptional Pre-MBA Investment Associate to join our team. This Associate will help us identify, evaluate, and win opportunities to invest in the best edtech startups, and support them as they grow. The Investment Associate will play an integral role in our rigorous diligence process and support our portfolio and internal operations.
The primary responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Sourcing : Proactively identify new investment opportunities, connect with promising entrepreneurs, qualify inbound leads, and conduct research on markets including creating market maps and co-developing investment theses.
- Deal diligence : Evaluate new investment opportunities through qualitative and quantitative analysis such as financial and cap table modeling, metrics analysis, and user interviews. Draft investment memos for recommendation of investments and drive the diligence process.
- Organization building: Help build and optimize the systems and provide insights supporting our work, including building financial models and decks, analyzing and tracking pipeline, and conducting metrics benchmarking analysis. Work closely with our CFO to conduct portfolio analysis in support of fund reporting and benchmarking.
- Portfolio work: Identify opportunities and take lead on initiatives that support the success of our companies, such as financial forecasts, market analysis, potential business development partnerships, new hire introductions, and fundraising support.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Passion for edtech and a desire to use technology as an enabler and catalyst to improve access to opportunity through education
- 1–4 years of relevant work experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, startup/technology or management consulting (work experience in edtech a plus)
- Track record of strong analytical and financial modeling skills combined with outstanding oral and written communication to deliver strategic insights and actionable recommendations
- Strong interpersonal skills: the Associate will meet with entrepreneurs, co-investors, limited partners and other members of the startup ecosystem and serve as a representative of Reach
- Proactive self-starter who is comfortable working in a dynamic, collaborative work environment with little structure or guidance
- Superb attention to detail
- Preferably located in or willing to relocate to the SF Bay Area
What’s the opportunity with this role?
- Work with and learn from a values-aligned, diverse, and high-performing team. Reach Capital is ranked #1 on The Information’s Diversity Index. We strive to create an inclusive team where all perspectives are valued; our investment discussions include everyone from partners to interns.
- You’ll build the foundational venture skill set and get to apply it day in and day out as you support the entire investment process from thesis building and sourcing to ongoing portfolio support. Develop unique insights into edtech company building with a deep understanding of go-to-market, key metrics, and where the puck is going.
- Meet and work with some of the most inspiring innovators in education technology.
- Access to the entire Reach ecosystem which includes founders, operators, and investors all connected by a shared set of values.
- Learnings from across our portfolio as they iterate, operate, fundraise, and scale from the earliest stages through exit.
Some important notes about the role:
- This is not a check writing role. We believe that the craft of investing is honed over time and are excited to invest in you. Through your time at Reach, you’ll learn how to develop a thesis, build trusted relationships with entrepreneurs, and support them through crucible moments. These are the foundations to become a great investor and check-writer.
- This is not a ‘partner track’ role. We’ve structured this associate role as an opportunity to build your investor skillset, work closely with entrepreneurs, and see around the corner in the edtech ecosystem. This role will be a great launching point for your next role in investing, startup operating, or graduate school.
- There will be a lot of not-so-glamorous work. You will help with everything from research to data entry, CRM and pipeline management, building dashboards, digging into metrics and financial models. We invest in less than 2% of the companies we see – so a lot of conversations will end with a “no” and a lot of research or diligence may lead to NOT investing. This is all part of the work.
The Reach team is a hands-on team of doers. It’s very important that you believe in our mission, find genuine joy in serving others, and are willing to roll-up your sleeves and proactively jump in on any task necessary to advance the collective effort of the team. Our team operates based on the following values:
- Strong Relationships are at the core of our work
- Work in Service of our Founders
- Be Direct but Empathetic
- Express Gratitude Daily
- Embrace Humility
- Act Quickly
- Never Stop Learning
Reach Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Reach Capital is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Research has shown that women and people from marginalized communities apply to roles when they meet 100% of the job requirements, versus male applicants who apply if they meet an average of 60% of the requirements. If you think that your skills are transferable and can add value to this role, please apply so we can determine whether it’s a good fit.
As the most active early-stage edtech investor in the US, Reach Capital has invested in and helped grow over 70 leading edtech companies including Outschool, Brilliant, Lovevery, Handshake, and Nearpod. The companies we invest in are shaping the future of education from Early Childhood and K-12 to Higher Education and Workforce Development.