Gratitude Railroad is an investing firm and community network on a mission to transform capitalism to be a force for good in the world. Since 2013, we have educated and convened hundreds of asset owners and allocators who are dedicated to moving investments from traditional finance into impact. We host a series of webinars, dinners, roundtables, and events aimed at driving more capital into the field of impact, and we invest in mission-driven startups and funds with the potential to deliver social or environmental impact and attractive financial returns.
We are seeking a proven and aligned associate to support our investment team. You will conduct sourcing, screening, and evaluation of early and growth stage venture deals, perform market research, provide post-investment support to portfolio companies, build relationships in the industry, and engage with our investors. We are looking for a purpose-driven, thoughtful, self-directed individual who is eager to drive impact and support the dynamic needs of our growing organization. This is a role with significant day one responsibility and requires an organized, entrepreneurial mind who wants to be challenged and stretched.
You will manage the entire investment process across our direct investments and impact infrastructure opportunities, including:
- Conducting market and competitive research on a variety of impact areas across social and environmental issues
- Creatively problem solve in a constantly changing environment with a high degree of the unknown
- Attend virtual and in person events; contribute to thought leadership activities and position Gratitude as an industry leader in impact investing
- Develop relationships with other investors/accelerators
- Mange the pipeline and perform top-of the funnel screening via review of in-bound
- materials as well as proactive outreach and relationship building with startups
- Conduct research on key trends, sectors of interest, market/competitive landscape.
- Develop presentations/white papers
Deal Work – Due Diligence and Execution
- Execute the due diligence process in collaboration with the rest of the investment team
- Manage the pipeline through the systematic and deliberate tracking of companies and
- the wider ecosystem. Use and optimize our systems to track deal flow
- Join and take notes on diligence calls with entrepreneurs and stakeholders, perform competitive analyses, and build financial models
- Assess market opportunity, business model, and financial model. Conduct expert and consumer interviews as needed.
- Maintain a high level of rigor, attention to detail, adherence to timelines while ensuring strong communication with others internally, as well as with our investors and company founders
- Build financial models in excel
Presentations and Communication
- Develop and contribute to materials and presentation to our investors including our investment memos
- Compose and send updates on macro trends, our pipeline, portfolio, etc. to investors.
- Responsible for obtaining and communicating portfolio updates on a quarterly basis and consistently communicating with portfolio companies around their top needs and where we can help
- Dedicated time working on projects for portfolio companies – market/competitive analysis, supporting the fundraising process, etc.
Strategy & Planning
- Given the early stage of the organization and small team, you will be asked to help
- in process refinement
- Special projects to improve our investment process, DEI, impact measurement, etc.
Estimated Time Allocation
- 40% supporting diligence process for direct investments.
- 20% managing the pipeline, sourcing deals, and attending events, webinars, conferences.
- 20% operational support and process management for the direct investment team including preparing documents for investor meetings, logistical support for investor convening’s, reporting, and preparing monthly investor update email
- 10% ongoing portfolio support
- 10% ad-hoc projects related to growth, strategy and fundraising
- Outcomes-oriented – Passion for being detail-oriented and values executional excellence
- Process-driven – you thrive in creating, maintaining, and continually improving processes
- Self-starter – you take initiative and operate efficiently in the absence of structure; track record of going above and beyond what is asked
- Strong communicator – you can easily converse with diverse stakeholders and tailor information to your audience
- Trend spotter – you see how things will unfold ahead of the crowd
- A lifetime learner – you consider learning to be a reward. You enjoy mastering a new field.
- Comfortable with complexity – you absorb complex ideas quickly and can break down complex topics easily
- Humble – you are interested more in figuring out what’s right than being right
- High-performance team player – you have a “no task too small” mentality and always look to support other co-workers and contribute to an inclusive company culture
- Knowledge of and commitment to social and environmental justice (personal, professional or academic)
- Excellent academic record and strong analytical and financial abilities
- Comfortable working in a remote team environment
- Excellent personal and professional references
- Technical Skills: Writing, Powerpoint Presentation, Excel
- Technical Knowledge: Financial Modeling, Investing, Startups
- Preferred experience: 3+ years of relevant experience, preferably in investing, investment banking, management consulting, or entrepreneurialism.
Gratitude DEI Commitment & Values
- We value “distance travelled”1 equally as much as pedigree and hope to attract talent with a diverse set of experiences, perspectives, and skills that aligns with our firm values.
- You share our commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and racial justice – as evidenced by your professional or personal activities – and are willing to participate in cultural proficiency training or other activities to continue improving the workplace environment and services.
- TRANSPARENCY | openly sharing both successes and failures, because we will all benefit from our mutual learnings
- COLLABORATION | using a help-first mindset, because we realize that we can’t make meaningful progress on major societal challenges unless we work collectively with those who share in our vision
- EXPERIMENTATION | endeavoring to break trail, because innovation necessitates iterative ideas – even if they are messy!
- DILIGENCE | maintaining a careful and steadfast rigor in our work, because a commitment to excellence and expanding our knowledge will strengthen both our mission and community
- GRATITUDE | appreciating the goodness in the world, tangible and intangible, because we aspire to connect to something larger than ourselves; to others, to nature, and to that which has yet to be created
- Annual Salary
- Competitive Healthcare Benefits and FSA
- 401K and Company Contribution
- Flexible PTO and work location
- Stipend for WFH setup
How To Apply
- If you are excited for the role and ready to apply, complete our application: bit.ly/grrassociateapp
- *Gratitude Railroad supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.*
- Deadline to apply is Wednesday, November 30, 2022