We are an organization dedicated to creating pathways to opportunity so people can live to their full potential. We center our work on education, immigration reform, the environment, health, with justice as our goal. We use a wide range of tools and strategies — partnering with entrepreneurs and experts, makers and policymakers, advocates, and creatives — to build and execute innovative solutions that will spur change and promote equality.
In order to address national and global-scale problems, we employ a wide range of tools and strategies. We believe that a combination of Philanthropy and Venture Capital can support the greatest leaps of innovation. This model allows us to deploy resources in the most flexible way for the greatest impact.
The Emerson Collective (EC) Venture team invests in companies that are positively impacting the world and ensuring that people can live to their full potential. Impact and returns are not tradeoffs: we believe that some of the best-performing companies will also be the ones who do right by their customers, employees, and the planet. We invest in companies across a number of sectors, including financial technology, digital health, education, future of work, and the worker and government technology. Portfolio companies include Outschool, Guild Education, Lyra Health, Devoted Health, Unite Us, Chime, Divvy Homes, Coinbase, and Stripe. We are currently seeking an Associate (pre-MBA) level to join our lean and entrepreneurial growth stage investing team (Series B+).
Role And Responsibilities
- Performing due diligence (i.e., business, financial, and impact diligence) on our target investments, and communicating your findings in a clear, concise manner. This will include the preparation of diligence decks, verbal presentations, and investment memos
- Preparing deep industry sector analysis to guide our investment strategy, including thesis creation, market maps, industry research, and network building through pro-actively meeting with promising entrepreneurs, attending conferences, and cultivating relationships across the start-up ecosystem
- Supporting our current portfolio companies post-investment through a wide range of initiatives including executive hiring, business development, DE&I, and fundraising support.
- Engaging with the broader EC and venture capital networks to facilitate collaboration opportunities, build relationships, and help promote impact at scale
Qualifications, Skills, And Requirements
- You are committed to and passionate about investing in the best technology companies and making an impact
- You have 2–4 years of relevant work experience in investment banking, management consulting, venture capital, a startup/technology business or private/growth equity (prior analytical experience is a must, but no prior investing experience is required)
- You produce thorough and concise quantitative and qualitative analyses to form opinions about companies
- You are comfortable building accurate financial models and valuing companies.
- You communicate directly, empathetically, and concisely in both written and verbal form
- You thrive in entrepreneurial, diverse, and inclusive environments. You are comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly in response to feedback
- You respond to new ideas, projects, and tasks with enthusiasm and are able to operationalize them after looking at them from multiple perspectives (considering the opportunities, risks, creative alternatives, and possible paths forward)
- You are a collaborative team player with high integrity and work ethic
- You invite different perspectives into your work and have a commitment to improving yourself and others by seeking and delivering specific performance feedback
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, San Francisco, Oakland, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. This position is located in Palo Alto or San Francisco, CA.
If interested, please apply here.