Angel City Advisors
Angel City Advisors is a boutique impact investment advisory firm focused on the deployment of capital to early-stage enterprises and social innovators. We are seeking new associates to join our firm in support of our current clients as well as a new global impact fund under our management. If you are a dynamic professional interested in impact fund management, social innovation, placing direct investments into young enterprises, and coaching founders to scale, please consider joining us.
We are seeking a highly motivated, analytically-savvy, and entrepreneurially-driven Impact Investment Associate to join our team. Reporting to the CEO, the Associate for the Signal Fund, will work closely with the CEO and fund management team to support all aspects of the investment process, from deal sourcing and due diligence to technical assistance provision to portfolio management. Your role will involve: conducting research, financial analysis, and impact assessment to identify attractive investment opportunities; writing memos and presenting deals to a seasoned investment committee; recommending traditional and creative investment structures; integrating companion social and intellectual capital alongside financial capital; and monitoring the performance of existing investments. For professionals seeking exposure to global impact investing, the sub-field of catalytic capital, and best-in-class social entrepreneurs, this position would be a unique opportunity.
Priority Client: While Angel City has multiple clients, the Associate’s primary role will be to support the Echoing Green Signal Fund, a new impact fund focused on deploying catalytic capital directly to vetted social entrepreneurs and innovators at early and growth stages. While the Fund’s management will be your priority, associates will have exposure to other Angel City clients that include strategic investors focused on social impact, as well as early-stage enterprises and initiatives seeking capital and strategic advising.
What You’ll Do
Deal Sourcing and Evaluation
- Identify and research potential investment opportunities within the Echoing Green portfolio aligned with our impact investment thesis.
- Conduct due diligence on companies, including analyzing financial statements, business models, market dynamics, and impact potential. Engagement with founders and cultivation of investment readiness. Build detailed files on all pipeline prospects.
- Perform or review financial modeling and analysis to assess investment potential, including financial projections, valuation, and risk assessment.
- Conduct industry research to understand market trends, competitive landscape, and growth prospects. Work with investment team to develop scaling milestones for social innovation.
- Collaborate with the investment team to develop investment memos and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Evaluate the social impact potential of investment opportunities using established and nontraditional frameworks and metrics. Monitor and measure the impact performance of existing portfolio companies.
- Collaborate with portfolio companies to enhance their impact strategies and measurement frameworks, providing ongoing support and assessing prospects for follow-on investing.
- Support the monitoring and management of the impact investment portfolio, including tracking financial and impact metrics. Conduct periodic reviews and analysis of portfolio companies, providing recommendations for strategic actions.
- Prepare reports and updates on portfolio performance for internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders, including entrepreneurs, industry experts, and impact-focused organizations.
- Engage with Echoing Green leadership across a variety of programmatic and field-building activities related to the Signal Fund.
- Support investor relations activities, including preparing materials for investor meetings and reporting. Represent Angel City Advisors at industry events, conferences, and networking opportunities.
Additional Client Matters
- Client-facing matters for impact investors, philanthropies, government, early-stage founders to include due diligence, portfolio monitoring, strategic planning, business consulting, and project management as needed.
- Internal-facing projects including ecosystem development, technology integration, and administrative tasks
What You’ll Bring
- Passion for social innovation, entrepreneurship, and impact-driven investing.
- 2+ years of experience in impact investing, venture capital, private equity, community lending, or related fields.
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills with proficiency in Excel and financial analysis tools.
- Familiarity with impact investing frameworks and measurement methodologies. Knowledge of, or experience with catalytic capital deployments a plus.
- Excellent research and due diligence capabilities with a keen eye for detail.
- Track record engaging with early-stage founders across a variety of sectors, models, and tax-status. Ability to provide business assessments and deliver or scope consulting support.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate nuanced concepts.
- Desire to work as a strategic partner with Echoing Green in a highly collaborative and sharing environment.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment. Employment location will be overwhelmingly virtual. While we largely operate remotely, we value a candidate with flexible availability, ideally between 9am Eastern Time to 6pm Pacific Time. There will be some expectation of planned travel, but not emergency travel.
We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ, gender non-conforming & non-binary, women, veteran, multilingual, and other underrepresented persons in the finance sector to apply.
TERM: Two years with opportunity for further advancement
COMPENSATION: $110,000 to 125,000 (DOE) plus benefits
LOCATION: Mostly remote with some in-person meetings in Los Angeles
START DATE: September 2023
Given our diverse candidate interest, we are extending the application date to July 31, 2023. Please note that we are already reviewing applications and conducting interviews, and may hire on a rolling basis.