AEI HorizonX has an outstanding opportunity for an Associate as part of this small, close-knit investing team. HorizonX was born in 2017 within the Boeing Company as the dedicated venture capital arm of the world’s largest aerospace company. In 2021, Boeing partnered with AE Industrial Partners to create a venture capital investing platform that invests in early-stage hard-tech and software entrepreneurs that are seeking to create the sustainable future of mobility, aerospace, and industrial enterprise, including the climate tech that AEI HorizonX believes will enable this transformation. The longevity and deep networks of Boeing and AE Industrial provide our team of investors an advantage to support entrepreneurs who want to create their own revolutionary business; with 105 years of Boeing and 23 years of AE Industrial Partners, our investing team proudly continues the legacy of supporting innovation and world changing businesses. AE Industrial Partners is a leading middle market private equity firm and early-stage venture capital firm specializing in Aerospace, Defense & Government Services, Space, Power and Utility Services, and Specialty Industrial businesses with approximately $5 billion of AUM.
We are active early-stage investors where not only do we participate in board-level discussions, but each investor is also expected to be a coach, mentor, business development executive, fund-raising support, executive-in-residence, or making the hard calls about business restructurings or organizational changes. It is not just about what a CEO asks of us, but it is going above and beyond anticipating what a business needs. We are focused investors that are picking best-in-class companies and management teams versus investors who are more transaction oriented or momentum investors.
The AEI HorizonX team looks for outstanding founders who are confidently rooted in technology and remain agile in their business decisions. We partner with companies beginning with Seed and Series A investments and continue to actively engage and work with our companies at every stage of their growth. We proactively support our founding teams by establishing connections with our extensive network of experts and advisors who help founders navigate key aspects of their businesses, including customer relationships, regulatory environments, and engineering – all of which are critical to building and scaling a business in our target markets. Our ongoing proprietary relationship with Boeing combined with AE Industrial’s network of leading industry figures and experts provides unmatched access to capabilities of the world’s largest aerospace company and extensive channels to market and customer opportunities.
As we embark on our next phase of growth, we are looking to add an Associate to our investment team. This opportunity is for someone looking to enter the world of venture capital and participate in all stages of the deal life cycle including generating investment theses, evaluating potential investment opportunities, performing due diligence, and providing financial and strategic support to portfolio companies post-closing.
The role will be focused on the management of the portfolio, maintaining proper records of the performance of each portfolio company, preparing analysis for limited partner presentations, while building cap tables and valuation analysis for follow-on and new investment opportunities. This individual is expected to be an “Excel guru” and enjoy building and maintaining models, analyzing financial performance, and identifying risks and opportunities for operational improvements in support of portfolio company leadership teams while supporting the team across a broad set of deliverables.
AEI HorizonX team members are utility players and are expected to be competent in all aspects of an investment cycle. We don’t have stove-piped roles and everyone on the team is expected to “roll up their sleeves.” We are looking for individuals who will live and breathe with their investment from courtship through the end of AEI HorizonX’s formal relationship with the portfolio company.
This hybrid role is based in St. Louis, MO, Chicago, IL, Boca Raton, FL, or Los Angeles, CA. This position has base compensation, annual bonus, benefits, and opportunity for future carried interest.
Key member of deal team that will assist in the evaluation of potential investments through founder and financial due diligence, market research, competitive analysis and drafting of Investment Memorandum that will incorporate market analysis, due diligence findings and financial models
- Build portfolio company financial models including income statement projections, balance sheet projections including capital expenditure modeling via debt and equity financing structures, and analysis of cost of capital for financing options
- Perform extensive capitalization table modeling
- Market research including modeling of total addressable market size for portfolio company’s products
- Coordinate with portfolio companies for periodic reporting and conduct financial analyses to inform AEI HorizonX portfolio management and reporting to Limited Partners – maintain and update the Firm’s portfolio management systems
- Exit analysis including M&A modeling, comparable public company trading analysis and market trading data analysis
- Contribute to AEI HorizonX thought leadership efforts
- 1-3 years of full-time work experience in investment banking, consulting, venture capital, or private equity, tech startup operating experience or another related field
- Demonstrated skill in constructing financial models using Excel
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills; ability to synthesize large amounts of information in a concise manner
- A strong intellectual curiosity and passion for tech investing, especially in sectors of interest to the firm
- Well-developed interpersonal, social, and relationship management skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize work appropriately with a focus on timelines and deliverables
- Able to work in an entrepreneurial, small staff environment. Willing to perform, and where needed assume responsibility for, organizational tasks