SET Ventures invests in digital technology companies that address climate change through sustainable energy solutions. We are convinced that in order to go 100% carbon-free, we must fundamentally change the way how energy is distributed, stored and used. The companies that we invest in are fast growing companies with a strong digital DNA, pioneering the future of energy. We have supported such pioneering founders on a mission to transform the energy system since 2007 and are proud to be one of the leading European investors in the energy domain. We have invested in category-defining companies such as Sonnen, Instagrid, FlexiDAO and ESFORIN.
We are a small team of 11, combining years of experience in tech, venture capital, energy and finance. We are truly international with American, Australian, Dutch and German team members and greatly value diversity of backgrounds and perspectives. Most colleagues work from our beautiful office on the canals of Amsterdam, while one partner is based in Hamburg. To ensure a steep learning curve and fast integration, we expect new team members to be located in Amsterdam.
This role is a great opportunity to join a leading venture fund in climatetech and work closely with entrepreneurs and investors that accelerate the transition to a carbon-free energy system.
About the role
Working in venture capital at SET Ventures means joining a fast-paced and dynamic work environment, where no day or week is quite the same. From day 1 you’ll be expected to contribute by building up knowledge about key trends in the industry, supporting portfolio companies and interacting with visionary founders that can drive change in the energy transition.
Day to day, you’ll have a high degree of autonomy in how you organise your work. This means we are looking for someone who is curious and self-motivated to start projects and research independently. You will learn on the job, working closely with the senior investment team and taking responsibility. In addition, one of the partners will be your mentor and you will have opportunities to participate in training. As a team, we highly value critical thinking, honesty and a pragmatic work attitude with a focus on getting things done.
This role provides a perfect opportunity to jumpstart your career in venture capital. At SET you have the opportunity to define your growth and accelerate within our industry.
No previous experience in venture capital is required. We look for someone who is ambitious, a quick learner and constantly looking to improve and excel.
As analyst you will:
- Source and analyse investment opportunities through focused research on emerging trends in our industry
- Perform due diligence: gather market input, conduct reference calls, evaluate technical and financial aspects of investment opportunities
- Support portfolio companies in funding rounds, with financial modelling, reporting, PR and providing board-level support to the senior investment team
- Build relationships with entrepreneurs and other VCs by representing SET in the international startup and investor ecosystem, going to events and sharing knowledge
- Contribute to and improve our internal operations such as deal sourcing, ESG and impact, financial reporting, marketing and hiring. We welcome you taking initiative to continuously improve how we work and encourage you to take up projects that you are passionate about
We believe the below experiences and attributes form a solid base for this role:
- Demonstrated, intrinsic motivation to tackle climate change through technology and innovation
- 1-3 years work experience in a fast-paced, technology-oriented environment with an excellent analytical foundation (e.g. start-ups, consulting, energy industry or finance)
- Strong communication skills and the ablility to quickly convey the results of your analysis
- Fluency in English is a must
- Excellent ability to build strong relationships with people of various backgrounds, personalities and perspectives
- High degree of honesty, integrity and respect for the entrepreneurs that we work with
- Sound understanding of financial modelling and valuation concepts is a plus
- A global perspective, foreign language skills and adding to the diversity of the SET team is desirable
- This job requires you to live in or close to Amsterdam
- Fluency in Dutch is not required
What we offer
- A great opportunity to have a lot of responsibility and become an integral part of the investment team, with colleagues who are world-class experts in this sector
- Significant development, mentoring and personal growth opportunities. There is no limit in how quick you can grow at SET and we are motivated to develop talent in-house
- Connect with SET’s powerful network across the next generation of European entrepreneurs that tackle climate change
- Startup company mentality and a flexible, supportive work environment
- Opportunity to travel internationally to events and (prospective) portfolio companies
- Stipends for personal learning and development
- Compensation in line with industry standards
Job application process
Ready to become a part of the community solving climate change? Then apply and we will be in touch shortly.
If you have questions, reach out to Emily Mellor or Ellen Smeele on LinkedIn or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and make sure to follow SET Ventures on LinkedIn to learn more about the energy sector!