Location: Washington, DC
Who are we: Rise of the Rest is building a top-tier early-stage venture capital fund, investing in entrepreneurs across the United States, in order to deliver top returns for our investors and give more founders, in more communities, the opportunity to build world-changing companies that solve real-world problems. We are generalist investors who commit capital across a broad cross-section of industries into startups based outside of Silicon Valley, New York City, and Boston. Rise of the Rest is a distinct fund at Revolution, the firm founded by former AOL co-founder and CEO, Steve Case. Rise of the Rest currently has $300M under management and is actively investing out of its second $150M fund.
What the role entails: We are hiring a junior investor to join our lean investment team. Because we are small, you will be exposed to all aspects of the fund and play an integral part in sector agnostic deal sourcing, diligence and fund operations.
Core responsibilities include:
- Meet with companies, review pitch materials, provide feedback, and support other investors
- Conduct due diligence and support the deal-closing process (including: memo writing, cap table math analyses, market analyses, financial analyses and competitive landscape mapping)
- Perform market research and identify areas of opportunity
- Source new deals through your own network and our resources
- Support investment team on portfolio company management
- Represent Rise of the Rest and evangelize the brand through frequent travel across the U.S.
- Experience ROTR markets with the opportunity to work remotely in Rise of the Rest cities for a few weeks each year
- Support broader Rise of the Rest team on strategic and operational tasks including: annual LP meeting, CRM management, portfolio company materials, and other strategic initiatives
What we are looking for:
- You are passionate about venture capital and the Rise of the Rest thesis. We operate in support founders who are building all across the country—a part of their story resonates with you and you seek to empower and build alongside this community.
- You are graduating college/university with an undergraduate degree or have 1-year post-grad experience with early-stage companies, incubators, accelerators, venture capital firms, investment banking, private equity, or consulting.
- You are a self-starter and an independent learner who will take ownership to identify and execute diligence plans, ability to articulate and form strong opinions, forge strong relationships with founders and bring in strong investment opportunities.
- You are a Jack or Jill of All Trades—with the ability to work through ambiguity. You can overcome unfamiliar or novel tasks in order to deliver to your team.
- You have familiarity with basic financial modeling and excel.
- You have high attention to detail and get excited about diving in deep into diligence or the small details of any deal.
- You are a multitasker that can juggle multiple deadlines and projects at once while staying very organized. You have the ability to prioritize tasks and re-prioritize as needs shift.