The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $138 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Ventures is a new practice at MongoDB created to invest in the most exciting companies solving problems for developers and data practitioners. These range from next-generation Platform-as-a-Service businesses to companies creating foundational infrastructure to enable advanced uses of Generative AI. We are adding an investor to our team who will be responsible for sourcing new opportunities, assisting with market research, engaging in diligence, and supporting portfolio companies.
The role is best suited for an individual with a desire to explore a career in early-stage technology investing. While the job responsibilities are similar to an institutional investing role, members of our team will also get deep exposure to the operating business at MongoDB as well as M&A. We are looking for somebody who is enthusiastic about infrastructure software, developer tools, artificial intelligence, and is looking for a challenging role at the intersection of technology and finance. We do not require our investors to regularly be in an office, but we believe living in San Francisco or New York puts you in the best position to jumpstart your venture network.
We are looking to speak to candidates who are based in New York City or San Francisco for our hybrid working model.
- Source new investment opportunities and represent MongoDB in first meetings with founders
- Work with other members of the team to identify important technology and market trends and develop market maps and theses
- Assist with evaluation of companies (including the creation of memos) and drive the internal process to complete investments
- Support and develop partnership initiatives with our portfolio companies
- 1-3 years of professional experience, ideally in a technical role at a fast growing technology company, investment banking, consulting, or venture capital
- A love for technology and natural ability to understand how it can impact products, business models, and markets
- Demonstrated interest in and network around early-stage technology companies
- Team-first mentality. Each member of our team does whatever may be necessary to help us achieve our goals
- Presence to build relationships both internally with senior members MongoDB’s leadership team and externally with founders
- Resourcefulness needed to strive in a dynamic environment with lots of moving pieces
- Ability to assume ownership and drive projects independently
- Within 1 month develop an understanding of how early-stage venture capital works and MongoDB Ventures’ role in the VC ecosystem. Begin building key internal and external relationships that will help with your ultimate success in the role
- Within 3 months identify a market area to focus on and begin the process of outreach and thesis development. Continue developing your network.
- Within 6 months you will have completed in depth research of a market area (e.g. prompt engineering) including engaging with the majority of viable early-stage companies in the space, material generation, and development of a thesis around what the biggest value creation opportunity is and the characteristics companies need to win in the space
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.